Delayed responsiveness in CapSense Slider widget

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ArTa_4831151
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am working on a project for smart fan with a Capsense P4 V5 10 slider widget and my product has a plastic cover on top of the capsense sensors. Maybe because of that I am not getting a response from the 2nd key unless the unit is left alone for about 30 minutes or more. Please help me how to resolve this issue.

Here is how my unit looks:

pastedImage_3.png

Pic1. Front panel where the user can touch to select a fan level(Fan -OFF to Fan level 6)

pastedImage_1.png

Pic2. Back of the unit (PSoC4MCU in right corner)

Here is my Capsense setting:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Likes
8 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please monitor the raw counts on the different slider elements over time using CapSense Tuner GUI and let us know the results. Please check the SNR of the sensors too.

You can go through the section Using the Tuner GUI (page 38) in the Capsense component datasheet (link given below) to get more information on how to use CapSense Tuner and to measure SNR.

https://www.cypress.com/file/336936/download

Also, please attach the gerber files of your Layout for us to check once.

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

@@@@@ !@Hi Ganesh,

Thank you for the reply.

I am trying to launch the Sense Tuner in my project but getting the following error, after trying multiple times, no luck.

pastedImage_3.png

I followed the steps in the document, page number: 3

I have a question regarding step 5 under the heading "Quick Start" in page 3(Step 5: Assign Pins in Pin Editor) , what are the pins I should be using?

pastedImage_2.png

I already have I2C in my current design and is connected to these pins : P3_0 and P3_1. If I add a EZ_I2C block to this existing design where should the EZ_I2C - SCL and SDA pins should be connected to?

Thank you,

Arshiya Tabassum

GaneshD_41

0 Likes
Hari

Hi ArTa_4831151

You need to set the I2C SDA and SCL pins to the respective pins that are connected to the PC. What is the interface that you are using to connect the kit to the PC? Are you using a miniprog or a standard USB-I2C bridge?

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes

Hi Hari,

I am using the MiniProg3 to connect the board (This is a custom board which only has a PSoC4 MCU, JTAG header and slider )

My board is powered up by the MiniProg3.

This is how my interface looks like this, J1 Connector on UI board is the custom board based on PSoC4

pastedImage_0.png

Thank you,

Arshiya Tabassum

0 Likes
Hari

Hi ArTa_4831151

You need to have an I2C interface for Tuner to work. In Miniprog 3, you can connect the SCLK and SDAT to SCL and SDA lines of the board - from previous response, I see that you have configured P3_0 and P3_1. Tuner can communicate to PSoC only through an I2C or a UART interface.

Can you also let us know the PSoC's MPN that you are using?

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes

Hi Hari,

I have no way to connect the I2C pins to the MiniProg3's I2C pins because I don't have access to individual pins.

Is there a way I can address this issue without using the Sense Tuner? Please suggest any other alternative approach.

I am re-iterating my issue here:

I am working on a project for smart fan with a Capsense P4 V5 10 slider widget and my product has a plastic cover on top of the capsense sensors. Maybe because of that I am not getting a response from the 2nd key unless the unit is left alone for about 30 minutes or more. Please help me how to resolve this issue.

MPN: cy8c4025lqi-s412

Thank you,

Arshiya Tabassum

0 Likes
Hari

Hi ArTa_4831151​,

Without seeing how the sensors are behaving, it would be difficult to pin-point the cause of the error. But since you have the SWD pins attached, we can figure out the behavior to some extent.

1. Disable all the firmware filters - CapSense Configurator -> Advanced tab -> General tab - all the filters such as IIR, median and average must be disabled. Also, uncheck the "Enable self-test library".

2. In the main.c, add a uint32 variable so that we can read the raw count values directly.

3. Use the API CapSense_GetParam passing the parameter for raw counts and the address of the variable declared for reading the raw counts. You can find the paramID in the file CapSense_RegisterMap.h file. It will be of the format CapSense_<WidgetName>_RAW0_PARAM_ID.

4. Debug the program and read the 10 value without touch and 10 values with touch so that we get an idea of the baseline and the signal that you obtain.

5. Make sure that your thresholds - Finger threshold, noise threshold etc - are set such that finger threshold is 80% of the signal level and noise threshold is 40%.

Please share the values that you obtain so that we can also verify.

One additional test that you can do is to probe the sensor lines and see if the sensors are charging and discharging completely. When you probe, you will see square waves of varying frequency on the line and all of them must charge and discharge completely.

Best regards,
Hari

0 Likes
Hari

The thread was locked due to inactivity for a long time, you can continue the discussion on the topic by opening a new thread with reference to the locked one. The continuous discussion in an inactive thread may mostly be unattended by community users.

0 Likes