Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Wilton
Level 4
Level 4
25 replies posted 5 solutions authored 10 questions asked

I just installed PSOC Creator 4.4, created a workspace and a project and a library.

But when I go to my top design schematic in the project the component catalog does not have a tab for my library, only the Cypress library and OffChip library.  I have made sure my library is check in the dependencies.  I've restarted PSOC Creator several times.  Closed and reopened the schematic.  But I cannot get it to find my library.

A related detail, I created the UDB (which is now in the library) as a component in the project.  It wanted to make it TopDesign.cyudb, even though I had a top design schematic already.  I can't envision a cyudb ever being the top of the project.  I did give it a better name (the process isn't very obvious).  And it did show up in the appropriate tab in the component catalog, but the program refused to drop it onto the schematic.  So I decided it needed to be in a library.

So a related question is whether it did need to be in a library, since is was a rather specialized component for that project, and if not, how to make it in a manner that the top schematic will allow it to be added as a symbol.

This whole thing is getting frustrating, because I don't know which magic button to push to get this UDB in my design.  It is the inevitable consequence of trying to make things too user friendly by hiding details the user isn't supposed to need to know--except they inevitably do.

Thanks,

Wilton

0 Likes
1 Solution

Well, I accidentally stumbled onto the solution.  I had named the UDB "Filter" and apparently that is a reserved word.  It didn't question it, it just ignored it.  I stumbled on this when I made yet another try to redo it.  So as to not looks the work I had put into the UDB, I renamed the component "OldFilter" before creating a new one.  Immediately the "default" tab showed up in the component catalog and populated it with "OldFilter".  I stopped what I was doing and tried instantiating it in my schematic.  It didn't complain I didn't actually drop it).  So I renamed it back to "Filter" and it immediately disappeared from the catalog.  Becoming a bit wiser, I renamed it again to something I could live with, and low everything worked just fine.  And no, I didn't need to put it in a library (although that didn't work, either).

Thanks,

Wilton

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
LeoMathews
First question asked 500 replies posted 100 solutions authored

Hi @Wilton 

I believe the requirement is to add a created UDB as a symbol in the top design schematic. After creating the .cyudb design you can generate the symbol by clicking the panel and click on 'generate symbol' option. Which can then be added to the topdesign.

Please refer to PSoC Creator UDB Editor Guide : Create the component symbol section for more details.

Thanks and Regards,
Leo

0 Likes

Well, I accidentally stumbled onto the solution.  I had named the UDB "Filter" and apparently that is a reserved word.  It didn't question it, it just ignored it.  I stumbled on this when I made yet another try to redo it.  So as to not looks the work I had put into the UDB, I renamed the component "OldFilter" before creating a new one.  Immediately the "default" tab showed up in the component catalog and populated it with "OldFilter".  I stopped what I was doing and tried instantiating it in my schematic.  It didn't complain I didn't actually drop it).  So I renamed it back to "Filter" and it immediately disappeared from the catalog.  Becoming a bit wiser, I renamed it again to something I could live with, and low everything worked just fine.  And no, I didn't need to put it in a library (although that didn't work, either).

Thanks,

Wilton

0 Likes