Can I back-up the default firmware(KitProg2) ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wangyuanfan
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 10 questions asked 10 sign-ins

My dev-board is installed KitProg2 by default.

I want to update the firmware from KitProg2 to KitProg3.

Can I back-up default sipped state before update it by PSoC Programmer.

If I can't, could you tell me how to return from updated state to sipped state.

Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Glad to help @wangyuanfan ,

You can accept the solution so we can close this thread.

Feel free to create new threads on any issues you may face while using Infineon Products on the Community and we will be happy to help you out.

Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @wangyuanfan ,

It is not necessary for you to backup the KitProg2 firmware as you can revert the KitProg3 firmware back to KitProg2 by using the tool "fw-loader" tool that is present in the path :
'C:\Users\<User name>\ModusToolbox\tools_2.4\fw-loader'

or if you are using PSoC Creator in which case you do not have the above mentioned tools folder, then you can get the "fw-loader" tool from github.

Once the tool is downloaded, assuming you are on windows, open a  cmd window and navigate to the "fw-loader" folder . Then, run the command

./fw-loader --device-list

Yes, that is two dashes "--"

If it says something like Kitprog2,then run the following command to update to KitProg 3

./fw-loader --update-kp3

Let me know if that doesn't work. 

If you want to downgrade back to KitProg2 then you can run the following command:

./fw-loader --update-kp2

Hope this helps!
Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Thank you for responding. May I ask a few more questions ?

My dev-board has been updated to KitProg3 with reference to https://www.cypress.com/file/157966/download section 3.3 (Programming Using PSoC Programmer) and 3.5(Updating the KitProg Firmware).

But from what you've told me, it sounds like I'm doing it wrong. I used PSoC Programmer to update it.

Could you tell me what is difference between using PSoC Programmer and using fw-loader to update the dev-board.

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @wangyuanfan ,

There is no difference between both the methods as they are both the same.
I proposed the command line based method so that you can perform the downgrading of the KitProg from 3 to 2 as this is not possible in PSoC Programmer (It only allows upgrading KitProg from 2 to 3 and not vice versa).
FYI, It is suggested to use the latest KitProg 3 and a down grade to KitProg 2 is actually not necessary.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Thank you for the quick and easy-to-understand reply.

I see, let me ask you one last easy question.

Regarding to section 3.3(Programming Using PSoC Programmer),

my target .hex file is located at : "<Project Directory> \ <Project Name.cydsn> \ CortexM0 \ <Compiler Name and Version> \ <Debug> or <Release> \ <Project Name.hex>.

But there is the "KitProg3.hex". (Please look at screenshot.)

Which one is available ?

0 Likes
AlenAn14

The screenshot you have shared is not of your Debug folder in your  project directory but instead the PSoC Programmer directory in the Cypress folder which is the installation directory for PSoC Programmer. So this will have the KitProg 2 and KitProg3 firmware .hex files so that PSoC Programmer can update the KitProg with this firmware.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes

So I just run the update with "KitProg3.hex" in the directory I shared in the screenshot?

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Yes.
This is the step done for you by PSoC Programmer when you click on the button 'Upgrade Firmware' in the utilities tab.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Thank you so much!

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Glad to help @wangyuanfan ,

You can accept the solution so we can close this thread.

Feel free to create new threads on any issues you may face while using Infineon Products on the Community and we will be happy to help you out.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes