CYBLE-222014-01 Bluetooth 5.1 follow-on questions

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
mark63122
Level 1
Level 1
First like received 5 sign-ins First reply posted

Hello,

Couple questions about the CYBLE-222014-01 BLE module.

Pretty much same question as in this post but looking for some clarification:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/PSoC-4/CYBLE-222014-01-Bluetooth-5-1/m-p/283316

Question 1. Appears the CYBLE-222014-01 has been updated from Bluetooth version 4.2 to 5.1. Has anything changed in the part, or BLE stack, or was is simply qualified to Bluetooth 5.1?

Question 2. In that post is says "CYBLE-222014-01 module is qualified module for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 5.1 specification which supports all erratas up to 5.1 but it won't have feature update." What is meant by the term erratas, why would it support errors? Maybe a different term was intended here or am I missing something?

Question 3.  The data sheet has the part number naming convention on page 36. It says:

mark63122_0-1652457188336.png

Should there be a -02 for BT5.0? Or also a -03 for BT5.1? Don't see these part numbers anywhere with those dash numbers.

CYBLE-222014-02

CYBLE-222014-03

Question 4. I've purchased CYBLE-222014-01 modules in the past, a few years ago. Still working great. If I buy the same part today (If I can find them) will I be getting the same part? Did not see any PCN document and the revision history does not show any changes to the part itself.  I also looked at the PSoC® 4: 4200_BLE Family Datasheet for clues but no info there on the move to 5.1.

Just trying to understand.

BTW, the data sheet is filled with links that go to www.cypress.com that are now broken.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

1 Solution
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

1. The module is qualified with 5.1 spec, but without supporting any features introduced in 5.0 or 5.1. Feature wise it still has 4.2 features but when qualifying the device, it will be qualified with the latest available spec(with all new features marked as not supported).
2. When new specification is developed, along with new features, some bugs are fixed in the old spec. Those bug fixes are called erratas. In order to call a device 5.1, minimum requirement is to fix those bugs (erratas). 
3. This module supports BLE 4.2 features, so in the 'Part Numbering Convention' B value will be 1.
4. You can find the part details from the Infineon website. The links in the datasheet will be redirected to the www.infineon.com website. You can check the products in the website.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Yugandhar
500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted 5 likes given

Hello,

1. The module is qualified with 5.1 spec, but without supporting any features introduced in 5.0 or 5.1. Feature wise it still has 4.2 features but when qualifying the device, it will be qualified with the latest available spec(with all new features marked as not supported).
2. When new specification is developed, along with new features, some bugs are fixed in the old spec. Those bug fixes are called erratas. In order to call a device 5.1, minimum requirement is to fix those bugs (erratas). 
3. This module supports BLE 4.2 features, so in the 'Part Numbering Convention' B value will be 1.
4. You can find the part details from the Infineon website. The links in the datasheet will be redirected to the www.infineon.com website. You can check the products in the website.

Thanks,

P Yugandhar.