CY8CKIT-041-41XX Port acquire failed Can't open CMCIS-DAP port

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rodberry
Level 2
Level 2
First like received First like given First solution authored

When I try to program my CY8CKIT-041-41XX board, I get the Port acquire failed Can't open CMCIS-DAP port message and nothing else happens.

I have been searching through the forums and tried many suggestions (except the ones involving a soldering iron). So I suspect my configuration may be all messed up. None of the suggestions were specific to this board, so I may have set something wrong. However, this was the case when I first plugged the board in with a fresh install of PSoC Creator 4.4 and the CY8CKIT-041-41XX software installed.

Can someone please help me step through this? It's driving me crazy. 😐

I have updated the onboard Kitprog2 to Kitprog3.

Also tried downgrading it back to Kitprog2, but PSoC Creator complains about that, so I changed it back to 3 again.

How should I start debugging this?

Thanks in advance,

Rod.

0 Likes
1 Solution
rodberry
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I dived in again this afternoon and got it all talking .

On CY8CKIT-041-41XX, Kitprog2 uses sw3 as a mode switch between two modes (I forget which for the moment) but Kitprog3, in the version I have, ignores the button. So ...

1. I ran Modus Toolbox's CLI firmware updater.
    It can be found in Modus Toolbox's directory (normally under your user directory), and navigated to:
    C:\Users<your user name goes here>\ModusToolbox\tools_3.0\fw-loader\bin_
  2. I typed .\fw-loader.exe --device-list to see what device was connected and it replied with:

Info: Start the API initialization
Info: Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-161116CB00086400
Info: The hardware initialization has completed in 436 ms
The connected supported devices:
1: KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-161116CB00086400 FW Version 2.40.1241

1. I ran the updater again to change the mode from CMSIS-DAP BULK to HID mode:
    .\fw-loader.exe --mode kp3-hid

Then I could get PSoC creator to program it. 🎉🕺
Ignoring PSoC Creator's messages was an important piece of advice someone gave too. 😃

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Rakesh_Patrudu
25 solutions authored 5 likes given 50 replies posted

Hi @rodberry ,

Can you please check System tab in Design Wide Resources whether you have selected Debug Select as SWD or GPIO. If GPIO is selected then kindly change it to SWD and try debugging your device.

Rakesh_Patrudu_0-1670565639997.png

Best Regards,
Rakesh

Thanks Rakesh,

Still no luck acquiring the port. I notice on your screen grab above that the VDDA (V) and VDDD(V) are both 3.3 where mine is 1.9.

Perhaps I am somehow limiting my voltage to the chip?

Should I change it to 3.3, or are you connected to a different board with different voltages? I want to keep the magic smoke safely inside my new toy tool!

0 Likes
Rakesh_Patrudu

Hi @rodberry ,

If you want to use 1.9V VDD and program CY8CKIT-041-41XX with Kitprog3 (firmware version 2.2.0) then kindly do the following changes so that your device will be detected and port gets acquired.

• In PSoC Creator go to Tools bar and click on Options

Rakesh_Patrudu_0-1671097707261.png

• Now expand Program/debug from the options and then expand Port Configuration.

Rakesh_Patrudu_1-1671097747792.png

• Select KitProg3 under Port Configuration and now change 2. Select Digital Source if kit has it. as per your requirements and then enable ON.

Rakesh_Patrudu_2-1671097792215.png

• Now change VDD to 1.9V using SW6 in your kit and try programming it.

Best Regards,
Rakesh

rodberry
Level 2
Level 2

thanks Rakesh for your patience.

If I am planning to use my CY8CKIT-041-41XX board in a system that is 5v rail-to-rail, should I set this to 5v instead? In the meantime, I am running off USB power. should it still be 1.9, 3.6 or 5v?

Thanks,

Rodney

0 Likes
Rakesh_Patrudu

Hi @rodberry ,

Yes, you can set kitprog3’s digital source to 5V and enable ON. So, that you can program your kit at all the three VDD levels (i.e., 5V, 3.3V or 1.9V).

Best Regards,
Rakesh

rodberry
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I dived in again this afternoon and got it all talking .

On CY8CKIT-041-41XX, Kitprog2 uses sw3 as a mode switch between two modes (I forget which for the moment) but Kitprog3, in the version I have, ignores the button. So ...

1. I ran Modus Toolbox's CLI firmware updater.
    It can be found in Modus Toolbox's directory (normally under your user directory), and navigated to:
    C:\Users<your user name goes here>\ModusToolbox\tools_3.0\fw-loader\bin_
  2. I typed .\fw-loader.exe --device-list to see what device was connected and it replied with:

Info: Start the API initialization
Info: Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-161116CB00086400
Info: The hardware initialization has completed in 436 ms
The connected supported devices:
1: KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-161116CB00086400 FW Version 2.40.1241

1. I ran the updater again to change the mode from CMSIS-DAP BULK to HID mode:
    .\fw-loader.exe --mode kp3-hid

Then I could get PSoC creator to program it. 🎉🕺
Ignoring PSoC Creator's messages was an important piece of advice someone gave too. 😃

0 Likes
rodberry
Level 2
Level 2

It is worth noting that, although changing the mode to HID seemed to be the thing that got things working for me, it may be that my changes to the other settings suggested earlier may have also contributed to solving this.

0 Likes