Bootloader programming via I2C

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
PaBr_4578176
Level 2
Level 2
First like given Welcome!

Hi, my microcontroller type is cy8c4014lqs-422. I would like to ask, is it possible to program bootloader by I2C? I have single-app bootloader and bootloadable application in in one 16kB memory block. I assume not, because of too low RAM (2kB), but I would like to be sure or aware of existing possibility. If yes, is there some option to generate .cyacd file of bootloader?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello.

All the information to use I2C bootloader is found in AN86526.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an86526-psoc-4-i2c-bootloader

Open the Bootloader component in Creator and read the datasheet under section called API Memory Usage.  There is a table showing FLASH and SRAM requirements.

And yes, an I2C bootloader will fit into PSoC 4014 (according to bootloader component datasheet).

As Ganesh pointed out, you still need a method to program the bootloader image into the 4014 FLASH for the first time.  You can use Miniprog3, Kitprog, 3rd party programmer.  These will all use SWD interface.  After it's programmed with the bootloader, then you can use I2C bootloading method.

Good luck with your project.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
VenkataD_41
750 replies posted 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi,

Please note that Bootloader program can be placed inside Flash of the device only through programming. It is not possible to bootload the Bootloader project.

The main purpose of the Bootloader is to bootload the application using communication components (I2C/SPI/UART/USB) etc instead of programming. So you should program the bootloader atleast once.

Can you please elaborate more on your requirement like:

1. Why do you want to bootload the Bootloader? Is there any special reason/constraint?

Thanks

Ganesh

0 Likes

Thank you for your response. I meant case flash refreshing, then access to the connector will be difficult.

0 Likes

Hello.

All the information to use I2C bootloader is found in AN86526.

https://www.cypress.com/documentation/application-notes/an86526-psoc-4-i2c-bootloader

Open the Bootloader component in Creator and read the datasheet under section called API Memory Usage.  There is a table showing FLASH and SRAM requirements.

And yes, an I2C bootloader will fit into PSoC 4014 (according to bootloader component datasheet).

As Ganesh pointed out, you still need a method to program the bootloader image into the 4014 FLASH for the first time.  You can use Miniprog3, Kitprog, 3rd party programmer.  These will all use SWD interface.  After it's programmed with the bootloader, then you can use I2C bootloading method.

Good luck with your project.

0 Likes