Bluetooth 5 and Mesh Networks: Synchronization?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
JuVo_286221
Level 2
Level 2

Dear community, 

we are working on a product which would greatly benefit from Bluetooth Mesh Networks. Multiple devices would all be connected to one phone. The devices should be able to repeatedly blink a light at exactly the same time. 

With the new Bluetooth 5 spec adopted yesterday, and Cypress having a Mesh Network solution already for Bluetooth 4.2 compatible chips, I hope I can find an answer to this interesting question:

Using mesh networks, do you think a very accurate synchronization of all the devices in the network is conceivable?
Would it be possible to compensate for all the individual delays that occur between the devices?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hello Cypress is currently working on Bluetooth Mesh solution with our CYW2xxxx parts and will have solution available in early 2017. This would comply with Bluetooth 5 spec.   

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
        Hello Cypress is currently working on Bluetooth Mesh solution with our CYW2xxxx parts and will have solution available in early 2017. This would comply with Bluetooth 5 spec.   
0 Likes
JuVo_286221
Level 2
Level 2

I got that information from Cypress as well. But do you think it would be easy to design a system that executes actions in synchronization? We're looking for millisecond accuracy, microsecond accuracy isn't needed.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you designed a system that used the built-in RTC on the module, timed/compensated for individual packet transmission times, and then synchronized all of the devices to a central "time keeper", then yes it would be possible. But it all depends on the implementation.

0 Likes
StGi_1104951
Level 1
Level 1
Welcome!

Has Cypress release the Bluetooth mesh products yet? I am very interested in using them.

0 Likes