ADC

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Rusty
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Is possible to implement a 20 bit sigma delta on the PSoC 4100?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Rusty,

To my understanding it is not practical.

In theory, you could create a PGA with a gain of 256 and an adjustable offset.  This would allow to amplify the input signal into the 12-bit range of the ADC.

Theory is good but control of the gain and offset controls and input noise would be very difficult.

Len
"Engineering is an Art. The Art of Compromise."

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Len_CONSULTRON
Level 9
Level 9
Beta tester 500 solutions authored 1000 replies posted

Rusty,

Infineon doesn't offer a PSoC4 with 20-bit resolution ADC.    However they do offer PSoC5LPs with a 20-bit Delta-Sigma ADC.

Len
0 Likes
Rusty
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Thanks but maybe I did not ask the question correctly, I understand that PSoC4 does not have a 20-bit ADC and the customer cannot change to a different PSoC.

Is there a way, through double/multiple sampling, that you can achieve the same or close to the same 20-bit resolution using a 12-bit ADC in the PSoC4? 

0 Likes

Rusty,

To my understanding it is not practical.

In theory, you could create a PGA with a gain of 256 and an adjustable offset.  This would allow to amplify the input signal into the 12-bit range of the ADC.

Theory is good but control of the gain and offset controls and input noise would be very difficult.

Len
0 Likes