4100PS IMO clock trimming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
DaCa_4564471
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello,

for our application we are using CY8C4145FNQ-PS433T microcontroller from 4100PS family.

We have selected IMO as clock source and we need to communicate with an UART.

We are experiencing communication problems in our temperature range -40 °C +100°C. We lost the communication when our device is placed at Tamb > 90°c or <-25°. Even if the microcontroller work in this extended range, the 2% of tolerance over the IMO is ensured beetwen -25°C and +85°C.

So we need to ensure a lower tolerance.

As per TRM, 4100PS ha 3 registers for clock trimming purpose.

CLK_IMO_TRIM1 and CLK_IMO_TRIM1 provides the frequency trimming and CLK_IMO_TRIM3 the temperature compensation.

My questions are:

1 - Are CLK_IMO_TRIM1 and CLK_IMO_TRIM2 provided with manufacturing values by Cypress? Or do we have to set up a trimming phase in our production line, changing these values comparing them with an external clock reference?

2 - Can we change CLK_IMO_TRIM1 and CLK_IMO_TRIM2 run time in our fw ( even if I don't konw how, without having a clock reference)?

3 - Is there an algorithm to follow to implement the temperature compesantion? We can read both Die Temperatura or pcb temperature wiht an NTC, but I Think Die Temperature is better beacuse placed near the IMO.

Thank you

Daniele Cavazza

0 Likes
1 Solution
Vasanth
250 sign-ins 500 solutions authored First question asked

Hi,

1)

Vasanth_0-1621831256976.png

IMO TRIM1 : Frequency trim bits. These bits are determined at manufacturing time for each FREQ setting
(IMO_TRIM2) and stored in SFLASH. This field is mapped to the most significant bits of the IMO
trim imo_clk_trim[10:3]. The step size of 1 LSB on this field is approximately 120 kHz.
Default Value: 128

IMO TRIM2: Frequency trim bits. These bits are not trimmed during manufacturing and kept at 0 under normal operation. This field is mapped to the least significant bits of the IMO trim imo_clk_trim[2:0].
The step size of 1 LSB on this field is approximately 15 kHz.
Default Value: 0

IMO TRIM3: These bits are determined at manufacturing time to compensate for temperature and process  variation. 

2) You can change both those registers. You can use a higher accuracy clock to trim.

This old example can be used as reference but cannot used directly. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce97601-improving-accuracy-psoc-4-internal-main-...

Best Regards,
Vasanth

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Vasanth

Hi,

1)

Vasanth_0-1621831256976.png

IMO TRIM1 : Frequency trim bits. These bits are determined at manufacturing time for each FREQ setting
(IMO_TRIM2) and stored in SFLASH. This field is mapped to the most significant bits of the IMO
trim imo_clk_trim[10:3]. The step size of 1 LSB on this field is approximately 120 kHz.
Default Value: 128

IMO TRIM2: Frequency trim bits. These bits are not trimmed during manufacturing and kept at 0 under normal operation. This field is mapped to the least significant bits of the IMO trim imo_clk_trim[2:0].
The step size of 1 LSB on this field is approximately 15 kHz.
Default Value: 0

IMO TRIM3: These bits are determined at manufacturing time to compensate for temperature and process  variation. 

2) You can change both those registers. You can use a higher accuracy clock to trim.

This old example can be used as reference but cannot used directly. https://www.cypress.com/documentation/code-examples/ce97601-improving-accuracy-psoc-4-internal-main-...

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
DaCa_4564471
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks @Vasanth ,

this is more or less what was on my mind.

And what about temperatura compensation?

How the value of IMO TRIM3 change the IMO Clock?

Can I change this value runtime if I see a Clock frequency variation over temperature?

Thank you

0 Likes
Vasanth

Hi,

Regarding the temperature TRIM, Trim settings are generated during manufacturing for every frequency that can be selected by CLK_IMO_SELECT. These trim settings are stored in SFLASH. It is recommended to use the provided values but you do have an option to update the TRIM values following an algorithm.

Vasanth_0-1623140852066.png

Please check figure 9-2 in https://www.cypress.com/file/280681/download

Best Regards,
Vasanth

0 Likes
DaCa_4564471
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

the algorithm you mentioned is the same shown in the TRM Manual. I supposed this was only to trim the frequency with TCTRIM1 and TCTRIM2.

I was searching for a formula similar to the one shown in the following AN

PowerPSoC® – Improving IMO Frequency Accuracy over a Wide Temperature Range (cypress.com)

Do you know if PSOC4100PS implement a similar formula or a different one?

Thank you

Best Regards,

Daniele Cavazza

0 Likes