Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

Other Technologies General Forum Discussions

Not applicable
I'm a bit confused by the App Note ANP0050-A titled "Designing SMPS Adapter using ICE3BS02 to Pass Common Mode Lightning Surge Test".
The App Note refers to IEC 61000-4-5 test levels 0.5, 1, 2, 4kV or special.
Then immediately it makes the statement "If the surge voltage is 15kV, it can generate 7.5kA short-circuit current (15kV/2Ω)."
Under what circumstances would I need to face 15kV surge voltage? Certain classes of product?
The requirement I am trying to meet is +/-1kV.
Comments welcome.
0 Likes
1 Reply
E_B_
Employee
Employee
Welcome!
Thought this is a Forum dedicated to ESD, your question provides a good opportunity to establish the differences to other kind of transient events.

Please let me transmit the response from the Infineon Team who authored the application note in 2005.

"Both of Lightning Surge and ESD are dealing with surge condition but they are very different in terms of energy involved. Lightning Surge is dealing with much higher energy, but ESD is comparable much lower. That is why from test set up, modelling and waveform shape are much different between Lightning Surge and ESD. The details can be found out in the standards of IEC 61000-4-5 (for Lightning Surge) and IEC/EN 61000-4-2(for ESD). The application note of ANP0050 is working on Lightning Surge according to IEC 61000-4-5 .

For IEC 61000-4-5 (for Lightning Surge), the test level is defined at 0.5, 1, 2, 4kV, but also other level depending on the specific application requirement, for example 15kV. Lightning Surge is system topic but not only for single component. The document of ANP0050 and also another application note “How to design SMPS to Pass Common Mode Lightning Surge Test” are to introduce some guidance on the SMPS system design how to achieve the target.

Are you design SMPS with Lightning Surge capability up to +/-1kV? If it is, you can also refer to the documents".

I hope with this to have been responded to your inquire.
0 Likes