Infineon TPM 2.0 reprogramming

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KavitaJhajharia
Level 1
Level 1
First like received First reply posted First question asked

Hi Team,

I am researching on enhancing security. Is it possible to reprogram  OPTIGA TPM?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi @KavitaJhajharia ,

TPM firmware is developed according to TCG (Trusted Computing Group) standard.

As an end user you can only use the APIs to perform certain functions on your host side computer or systems (like uC etc.) but you cannot modify the TPM firmware to implement your own crypto. 

Regards

Sharath

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Sneha_P
250 replies posted 250 sign-ins First comment on blog

Hi @KavitaJhajharia ,

Could you specify what you mean by "reprogram"? 

Applications use TPM functionality by calling its API and TPM can be firmware updated but cannot be programed.

Thanks,

Sneha

0 Likes

Thanks Sneha,

I want to induce one more symmetric key encryption algorithm (lighter than AES) in TPM.

0 Likes

Hi @KavitaJhajharia ,

TPM firmware is developed according to TCG (Trusted Computing Group) standard.

As an end user you can only use the APIs to perform certain functions on your host side computer or systems (like uC etc.) but you cannot modify the TPM firmware to implement your own crypto. 

Regards

Sharath

0 Likes

Thanks Sharath,

Is there any way I can implement TPM either on FPGA, Raspberry pi or may be something else?

in https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=7298&context=etd  TPM is implemented on FPGA. I am not getting the steps on how to implement it.

0 Likes

TPM is more advanced and comes with secure HW. You can implement something that 'emulates' TPM in SW (say in Raspberry Pi etc.), but it is of course not as secure as TPM or any other HW based solution. TPM is also certified by Trusted Computing Group (TCG), so from a compliance perspective as well, the 'emulated' solution won't work. 

0 Likes

Sure Sharath, I know it will not be a standard TPM. But I want to do some experiments with TPM (preferably H/W, although S/W also I can check). It will be nice if you can suggest me what and where should I search.

0 Likes

Unfortunately TPM 'emulation' using publicly available materials is out of scope for this forum.

0 Likes

Ok Sharath,

No problem, Thanks a ton.