s25fs512 write protect

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Currently evaluating this FLASH and attempting to lock registers using the WP# pin, however it's not working as advertised.

Using the WRR command I am able to set SRNV-1[SRWD]=1, which now should  follow WP#. I power cycle  and can verify

that  it is  set via UBOOT console using RDSR-1.

What I expect to happen is that if I ground WP# I should NOT be able to change SRNV1, however I am able to toggle this

register even with the pin grounded. What  am I missing? Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,

Believe we have found the issue, but still don't understand this fully. Our LINUX target boots up in single mode (MISO/MOSI), but when the kernel gets a hold of it, it runs in QUAD mode.

Somewhere  along the  way, it must have written to CRNV1 and set the QUAD_NV bit for QPI mode. This apparently has no effect on single mode operation, however it seems to prevent IO2 and IO3 to operate as WP# and RESET respectively. Once this was cleared, the write protection worked as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hi Keith zambrano,

Could you please share the top markings of the failing units with us?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry,

Posted to myself. Please see attached JPEG.Resized_20180918_094226_8883.jpeg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,

Another set of eyes looked at the spec, that makes 3 of us trying to figure this out. Section 5.4.2 shows a timing diagram for WP#, which depending how you look at this, implies that the WP# has to be toggled with every WRR/WRAR instruction. Can you please confirm?

Much Gras!

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sudheesh,

Thanks for the reply. Attached is a JPEGResized_20180918_094242_2554.jpeg

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok,

Believe we have found the issue, but still don't understand this fully. Our LINUX target boots up in single mode (MISO/MOSI), but when the kernel gets a hold of it, it runs in QUAD mode.

Somewhere  along the  way, it must have written to CRNV1 and set the QUAD_NV bit for QPI mode. This apparently has no effect on single mode operation, however it seems to prevent IO2 and IO3 to operate as WP# and RESET respectively. Once this was cleared, the write protection worked as expected.

0 Likes
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

The WP# function is not available when the Quad mode is enabled (CR1V[1]=1). It is an expected behavior.

0 Likes