S70FS01GS Xilinx Configration

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

I am looking to use a S70FS01GS NOR flash as the configuration memory for a Xilinx Ultrascale Plus FPGA.

Is the S70 range supported by the FPGA/iMPACT programming tools?

Thanks in advance.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Due to the fact our 1.8V S25FS-S does not support Dual Output and Quad Output commands, Xilinx  Ultra-scale FPGA can

only support Single I/O FS-S which has a severe impact on performance.  As you mentioned S70FS01GS device is a dual die stack of two FS512S die it is not recommended.

However, Xilinx FPGA do support our 3V FL-S family with 1.8V Vi/o which is why we recommend FL-S devices instead of FS-S.

Please refer the application note from the link given below :

http://www.cypress.com/file/193026/download

The list of devices that are tested and supported by the Xilinx ISE tools can be found at:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/isehelp_start.htm#pim_c_introduct...

Hope the it clarifies your query.

Thanks,

Krishna.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Laurie,

We have a list of our chipset partners and the parts that they support on our webpage. I am providing the link. Here you will find all the parts that are supported by Xilinx.

http://www.cypress.com/chipset-partners

Kindly go through it and let me know if it resolves your query.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Pradipta,

That list only seems to list devices that have been proven to work on evaluation cards etc.

The S70FS01GS is not included in this, but is footprint compatible and has the same serial command set as the S25FL512S device.

does this mean it will work in the same manor, and be programmed by Xilinx iMPACT in the same way?

Cheers,

Laurie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Q) does this mean it will work in the same manor, and be programmed by Xilinx iMPACT in the same way?

A) No S70FS01GS is not supported by Xilinx Ultrascale FPGA. We recommend you to use our devices which are mentioned in the list.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

Can you explain to me why this memory is not supported for Ultrascale Plus FPGA configuration?

Is this a problem due to the difference in device families, i.e. FL and FS, if so what is the difference?

I was under the impression that the 1Gbit device is just a DDP of the 512Mbit device, of which the FL version is supported?

The minimum required configuration memory size for the Ultrascale FPGA is 512Mbit, so why would a 1Gbit DDP version not be supported?

Cheers,

Laurie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Due to the fact our 1.8V S25FS-S does not support Dual Output and Quad Output commands, Xilinx  Ultra-scale FPGA can

only support Single I/O FS-S which has a severe impact on performance.  As you mentioned S70FS01GS device is a dual die stack of two FS512S die it is not recommended.

However, Xilinx FPGA do support our 3V FL-S family with 1.8V Vi/o which is why we recommend FL-S devices instead of FS-S.

Please refer the application note from the link given below :

http://www.cypress.com/file/193026/download

The list of devices that are tested and supported by the Xilinx ISE tools can be found at:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_7/isehelp_start.htm#pim_c_introduct...

Hope the it clarifies your query.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes

Hi,

You mention that "Xilinx  Ultra-scale FPGA can only support Single I/O FS-S which has a severe impact on performance".

Does this mean that if we use the S70FS01GS device, it will still boot up but will be very slow to boot?

For our application, the speed is not important at all and we want to use the device due to the ECC that it has. And we are not able to use the S70FL01GS due to IO voltage issues and backwards pin compatibility.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

Page one of the datasheet states that the FS-S devices supports Dual I/O and Quad I/O reads, is this incorrect then??

Cheers,

Laurie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Q) Page one of the datasheet states that the FS-S devices supports Dual I/O and Quad I/O reads, is this incorrect then??

Q) No it is correct. FS-S devices supports Dual I/O and Quad I/O reads. The supported read quad commands are: EBh, ECh, EDh and EEh.The S25FS-S devices do not support 6Bh (1-1-4) command for quad reading. 

Thanks,

krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

I see now, so its a different set of dual and quad read commands, which are not supported by xilinx?

Is this something that will be supported in the future? as the ability to have a large configuration device is advantagus.

Cheers,

Laurie

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Laurie,

Q) I see now, so its a different set of dual and quad read commands, which are not supported by xilinx?

A) Yes your understanding is correct.

Q) Is this something that will be supported in the future? as the ability to have a large configuration device is advantagus.

A) I am not entirely sure because we  have FL-S device of the same density which is supported by Xilinx FPGAs.

Thanks,

Krishna.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Krishna,

Yes but the 1Gbit FL-S device has two chip selects, making it hard to implement for an FPGA config memory, with an MCS file larger than 512Mbit.

Cheers,

Laurie

0 Likes

Hi Laurie,

I would like to let you know that meanwhile, we have created a Linux and u-boot patch for Xilinx Ultrascale.

You can download these from this link:

https://www.cypress.com/products/serial-nor-flash-memory#tabs-0-bottom_side-5

- u-boot patch name: "u-boot Xilinx patch for S70FS01GS".

- Linux patch name: "Cypress SPI Flash drivers for Linux kernel 4.14.0".

Thanks!

Best regards,

Bacem

0 Likes