S70FS01GS Hybrid Sector

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
kc1122
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

According to the following post, the S70FS01GS must be configured before use:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Knowledge-Base-Articles/Sector-Address-Map-of-S70FS01GS-KBA219111/...

But I used the device without configuring the CR1NV and CR3NV registers. Does that mean that the device is now unusable?

I saw in the data sheet that these registers cannot be changed if the IC has been erased/written.

Will the IC not work in the default state (both registers at 0)? Is that an invalid configuration from factory?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

I have consulted with another Apps Engineer on this issue.  You should not have any problems with using the S70FS01GS with both dies set to 'uniform' sectors.    The lower address FS512S may be configured for bottom parameter sectors or uniform sectors. The upper address FS512S may be configured for top parameters or uniform sectors.  However, when the lower address FS512S is configured for bottom parameter sectors the upper address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors.  When the upper address FS512S is configured for top parameter sectors the lower address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors.  Therefore, overall address space of the DDP may have bottom, or top parameter sectors, or uniform sectors. 

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
AlbertB_56

Hello,

Thank you for contacting  Infineon Technologies.

The S70FS01GS will should work with both CR1NV[2] (TBPARM_0) and CR3NV[3] (20h_NV) set as default "0." 

However, it is important to highlight that both the lower and upper FS512S devices (by default) are configured to the Hybrid Sector Architecture with the 4 KB sectors at the bottom address of each device, as it is not an invalid configuration.  It is recommended to select one of the three configurations with Table 69:

AlbertB_56_0-1647643098437.png

The lower address FS512S may be configured for bottom parameter sectors or uniform sectors. The upper address FS512S may be configured for top parameters or uniform sectors. When the lower address FS512S is configured for bottom parameter sectors the upper address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors. When the upper address FS512S is configured for top parameter sectors the lower address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors. In this way, the overall address space of the DDP may have bottom, or top parameter sectors, or uniform sectors.

Best regards,

Albert

0 Likes

Thank you for the clarification.

Before I realised about this CR3NV register setting, I was using the flash device (erase and writes). But since then, I have setup the device for uniform sectors on both dies.

I did a full erase of the IC before I set both CR3NV[3] to high. Will this cause issues? Since the data sheet advices to setup CR3NV[3] before doing any write/erases? The IC seems to work OK afterwards with uniform sectors.

0 Likes
AlbertB_56

Hello,

I have consulted with another Apps Engineer on this issue.  You should not have any problems with using the S70FS01GS with both dies set to 'uniform' sectors.    The lower address FS512S may be configured for bottom parameter sectors or uniform sectors. The upper address FS512S may be configured for top parameters or uniform sectors.  However, when the lower address FS512S is configured for bottom parameter sectors the upper address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors.  When the upper address FS512S is configured for top parameter sectors the lower address FS512S must be configured as uniform sectors.  Therefore, overall address space of the DDP may have bottom, or top parameter sectors, or uniform sectors. 

Best regards,

Albert

0 Likes