S29GL512S compatibility with Cyclone V E FPGA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins 5 replies posted First reply posted

I have plan to use the S29GL512S NOR Parallel Flash with Cyclone V E FPGA. Can you please provide the information that this memory be functionality supported with Intel Cyclone V E FPGAs?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yuvraj
250 replies posted 25 likes received 100 solutions authored

Hi,

Sorry, we can't connect.

Since S29GL512S is parallel flash  it cannot be connected directly through Cyclone V.

It needs to be connected to a Altera CPLD first (indirect mode), i.e. MAX 2 or MAX 10 CPLD.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Yuvraj

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Infineon Technologies.

You can get more information from following page : https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/partners/partner-ecosystems/memory-chipset-partners/chipset-partners...

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

The attached link provides the information about MAX series CPLD. I want to know the compatibility of S29GL512S with particular Cyclone V FPGA.

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

Sorry, we can't connect.

Since S29GL512S is parallel flash  it cannot be connected directly through Cyclone V.

It needs to be connected to a Altera CPLD first (indirect mode), i.e. MAX 2 or MAX 10 CPLD.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks, 

I have planned to use Serial QSPI as my configuration Flash and will connect parallel NOR Flash (S29GL512S) directly to FPGA for Data storage and calibration.

Am I right in this sense? 

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

As for configuration flash, you can either use QSPI Flash (Serial Flash) directly connected to FPGA (active Serial) or Parallel Flash NOT directly connected to FPGA but through a CPLD (e.g. MAX II or MAX10)

Additionally you can use another Flash connected on the SoC side of the FPGA. Such Flash can only be serial (NO Parallel Flash support)

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes
Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

I want to use the parallel NOR flash for the data storage and not for configuration. 

Please refer to the Intel Document#: UG-01082 of page#06, which indicates the Supported Flash Memories by Cyclone V by Cypress (Infineon). 

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

These flash are used for Configuration

609fc34e-5467-410e-a27e-a767be78e1a8.PNG

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes
Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

Ok. Thanks for clarity.

can you please tell me the Parallel NOR/NAND flash for Data storage to be interfaced with Cyclone V FPGA?

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

As I have mentioned parallel NOR FLASH is not used for data storage while interfacing with cyclone V FPGA.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes
Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

So, what would be the fastest device to communicate and for data storage with Cyclone V?

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

For data storage, you can use Serial  FLASH such as flash from S25HL-T OR S25HS-T device family.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes
Mohsin_Pak
Level 1
Level 1

Ok Thanks for the info.

0 Likes