S25FL128SAG

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Afulu
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

I am using the S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 WSON-8. i was using  AT25DF641A flash and i have its implementation completed and running.

I have run into a bit of issue addressing the S25FL128SAG, i am struggling to find its cluster size and whether the block sizes are 4KB as in the AT25DF641A, or if they are both 4kb and 64kb depending on the sector being addressed. 

I know that for the flash i am using the programming buffer is 256 bytes and the addressing is that 4kb sector at the bottom and 64 kb sector top. Can anyone help me have a clearer understanding of the differences in sectors, programming buffer and cluster size between the two devices.

0 Likes
1 Solution
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying cluster size. Our flash devices does not have a spec called cluster size. We specify only page size and sector size.

Regarding the sector architecture, the device S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has both 64KB sectors and 4KB sectors. The 3 sector architectures given in datasheet are as below (page 46)

1. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Bottom 4-KB Sectors32 x 4KB sectors at the bottom and rest are 64KB sectors. It is the default configuration.
  2. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Top 4-KB Sectors32 x 4-KB sectors at the top and rest are 64-KB sectors.
  3. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Uniform 256-KB SectorsAll sectors are of size 256-KB.

The device that you use S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has model number 0, which correspond to "Uniform 64-KB sectors". It means 25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has both 4-KB sectors and 64-KB sectors. By default, 4-KB sectors will be at the bottom. But, you can configure them at the top by changing the TBPARM bit in configuration register 1. Please note, TBPARM is an OTP (one time programmable) bit, you can program it only once.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
SudheeshK

Hello,

Model number for the device that you have mentioned is '0' (S25FL128SAG-NFI-001). It corresponds to the sector architecture 'Uniform 64-KB sectors'. Please see the section 'ordering information' given in datasheet for more details. 4 KB parameter sectors are available when uniform 64 KB sectors are selected. 

It is mentioned in page 5 of the datasheet that "The erase command for 64-KB sectors are supported for the 128-Mb and 256-Mb density FL-S devices when the ordering option for 4-KB parameter sectors with 64-KB uniform sectors are used. The 64-KB erase command may be applied to erase a group of sixteen 4-KB sectors". By default the 4 KB parameter sectors will be present at the bottom (low address). It's position is controlled by the TBPARM bit in Configuration register 1. Sector address map for both hybrid and uniform sector architectures are given on page 46 of the datasheet, https://www.cypress.com/file/448601/download

Program buffer size for the device S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 is 256 bytes. I am not clear about the cluster size that you asked, could you please provide more details about "Cluster size"?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Thanks. It is said that the cluster size is similar to page size and for 256B page size devices, a cluster size must be a multiple of the page size of the device, where a cluster overlays one or more pages. For example a device with a page size of 256 bytes can have cluster sizes of any multiple of 256 example. 256, 512, 768, 1024...

I am also just a bit confused now, does the S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 have an architecture with uniform 64Kb sectors? I see three architectures 1. Hybrid combination of $-KB and 64-KB sectors and uniform 256-KB sectors. refer to page 46 of the datasheet.

On the hybrid one, are the 64-KB sectors further divided to 4-KB blocks? and are the 64KB sectors starting at address 0 for the device I am using since it does not specify on the datasheet which layout my device has, whether 4-KB sectors first or 64KB sectors first.

Thanks.

0 Likes
SudheeshK

Hello,

Thank you for clarifying cluster size. Our flash devices does not have a spec called cluster size. We specify only page size and sector size.

Regarding the sector architecture, the device S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has both 64KB sectors and 4KB sectors. The 3 sector architectures given in datasheet are as below (page 46)

1. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Bottom 4-KB Sectors32 x 4KB sectors at the bottom and rest are 64KB sectors. It is the default configuration.
  2. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Top 4-KB Sectors32 x 4-KB sectors at the top and rest are 64-KB sectors.
  3. S25FL128S Sector and Memory Address Map, Uniform 256-KB SectorsAll sectors are of size 256-KB.

The device that you use S25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has model number 0, which correspond to "Uniform 64-KB sectors". It means 25FL128SAG-NFI-001 has both 4-KB sectors and 64-KB sectors. By default, 4-KB sectors will be at the bottom. But, you can configure them at the top by changing the TBPARM bit in configuration register 1. Please note, TBPARM is an OTP (one time programmable) bit, you can program it only once.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes