Run S25FL256SAG in SDR mode

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
floke
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Hi,

Could S25FL256SAG be replaced by S25FL256SDP if I am using it in SDR mode and single MISO data line? 

0 Likes
1 Solution
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

Yes, the S25FL256SDPxx can replace the S25FL256SAGxx, as the maximum operating frequency using single SPI mode is 50MHz.

S25FL256SDPxx = Max. operating frequency is 66MHz in DDR mode with Latency Code set at default "00"

S25FL256SAGxx = Max. operating frequency is 133MHz  in Fast Read, Read Dual Out, Read Quad Out, Dual I/O Read and Quad I/O Read with Latency Code set at "10" (non-default value).

Please refer to page 52 & 53, Table 27 & 28 for the appropriate max. operating frequency and latency code settings.  The S25FL-S datasheet if attached for your reference and review.

Best regards,
Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

View solution in original post

2 Replies
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

Yes, the S25FL256SDPxx can replace the S25FL256SAGxx, as the maximum operating frequency using single SPI mode is 50MHz.

S25FL256SDPxx = Max. operating frequency is 66MHz in DDR mode with Latency Code set at default "00"

S25FL256SAGxx = Max. operating frequency is 133MHz  in Fast Read, Read Dual Out, Read Quad Out, Dual I/O Read and Quad I/O Read with Latency Code set at "10" (non-default value).

Please refer to page 52 & 53, Table 27 & 28 for the appropriate max. operating frequency and latency code settings.  The S25FL-S datasheet if attached for your reference and review.

Best regards,
Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

floke
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked First like given

Thanks!

A somewhat related question regarding the write speed. I've reached several kbyte/s write speed in SDR mode. Most of the time is spent waiting while WIP is asserted. The datasheet lists write speed 1000kbyte/s. Could I expect to reach higher writespeed in SDR mode with S25FL256SAG ? If yes, what could be the issue/s?
The SPI protocol is implemented with help from this doc AN98542 Designing a Serial Peripheral Interface 

0 Likes