Remplacement for an obsolete 28F NOR flash memory

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Tansu
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

I am working in the railway market. We have a very old safety product that is equipped with 28F010 type NOR flash memories. We would like to resurrect this board for a customer but since the board is safety we are trying to avoid a respin (if possible).

The part was in PLCC-32 package (soldered) : SPANSION/AMD/CYPRESS AM28F010-90JI    (obsoleted in december 2005)

28F series NOR flash components were 5V-supplied but also required an additional 12V supply on VPP pin.
My understanding is that the 29F series are direct remplacement solutions (often pin-to-pin compatible) where the VPP pin is N.C. since those chips will work with 5V only. Am I right?

Yet I am wondering if it is really that simple. I was expecting to find a migration guide along with the PDN of this component. But not only the PDN won't suggest a direct replacement part but also the topic seems so complicated that the recommendation is to reach for the local representative of the brand :

AMD is obsoleting the Am28F010A, Am28F010, Am28F020A and Am28F020. Limited Fab capacity
and the continual migration of our customers to 5Volt and 3Volt Flash have necessitated the
obsolescence of these devices.  Please contact your sales representative for information regarding the migration
from 12V to 5V or 3V devices.

Is there an official migration guide for these old products?

Otherwise is there other know differences between 28F and 29F products aside from the VPP pin ?

I guess that 20 years ago this was a basic knowledge in the EE world. But today I am struggling to find a good article on this topic.

0 Likes
1 Solution
BushraH_91
750 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Infineon Technology. Unfortunately there is no direct or drop-in replacement for S28F and S29F which were obsoleted long time ago. The suggested migration path is S29AL008J and recommended to redesign the board to support 3 V devices.

URL for datasheet - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/memories/nor-flash/parallel-nor-flash/8mb-16mb-3.0v-universa...

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
BushraH_91
750 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Infineon Technology. Unfortunately there is no direct or drop-in replacement for S28F and S29F which were obsoleted long time ago. The suggested migration path is S29AL008J and recommended to redesign the board to support 3 V devices.

URL for datasheet - https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/memories/nor-flash/parallel-nor-flash/8mb-16mb-3.0v-universa...

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

0 Likes