Related to S25FL064L SPI Flash Memory -> Write Cycle Time

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
User21260
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked
Hi,
I am using flash memory part S25FL064L in my design.
I wanted to know the "Write cycle time" to Write 1 Byte data into this memory.
In the datasheet, they have mentioned Typical 220mSec "Nonvolatile Register Write Time" (tw)
But, I want to Write 14000 Bytes of data after power fail (as a retentive data)
So, how should I estimate "Write cycle" time in this case ?

Regards,
Prasad
0 Likes
3 Replies
BushraH_91
750 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

Hello,

I don't really understand the question. What do you mean by to Write 14000 Bytes of data after power fail? Please provide us more details.

Thank you

Regards,

Bushra

0 Likes
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Prasad,

The 220mS Nonvolatile Register Write Time (Tw) refers to writing to a register, and not to the main memory array.  It will require the Write Any Register command (WRAR command 71h) to write to a specified register.

The Page Program is 256bytes (max) in size, and takes ~450uS (per page program event).   Therefore, you will need to load the Page Program buffer ~54 times to program 14,000 bytes into the main memory array.  However, it is important to highlight that reprogramming the FLASH (with the same data) after a power fail, is recommended to ensure the data has been properly programmed into the FLASH memory array.  Programming data into the FLASH memory array during a power fail will produce indeterminate data.  Therefore, it is recommended to reprogram the FLASH after the FLASH has successful powered up and fully initialized with the same data (during the power fail) to ensure proper data integrity into the FLASH. 

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

0 Likes
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Prasad,

The 220mS Nonvolatile Register Write Time (Tw) refers to writing to a register, and not to the main memory array.  It will require the Write Any Register command (WRAR command 71h) to write to a specified register.

The Page Program is 256bytes (max) in size, and takes ~450uS (per page program event).   Therefore, you will need to load the Page Program buffer ~54 times to program 14,000 bytes into the main memory array.  However, it is important to highlight that reprogramming the FLASH (with the same data) after a power fail, is recommended to ensure the data has been properly programmed into the FLASH memory array.  Programming data into the FLASH memory array during a power fail will produce indeterminate data.  Therefore, it is recommended to reprogram the FLASH after the FLASH has successful powered up and fully initialized with the same data (during the power fail) to ensure proper data integrity into the FLASH. 

Best regards,

Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

0 Likes