Read NOR S29GL512S11 only return 0xFFFF

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lcristovao
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

I have one issue when I try to read data from NOR memory S29GL512S11 with STM32H7A3. I have the initialization of interface correct, because I can read all parameters of device, like command set and the ID of device.  When the program try to read one address the value returned is 0xFFFF. I have this sample code to try.

#define NOR_MEMORY_ADRESS1       0x60000000 //First address of 1 FMC bank
  #define NOR_CMD_DATA_READ_RESET  0x00F0

uint16_t verify[3]={0};

if(init_memorie(&nor1_interface)!=HAL_OK){
    Error_Handler();
  }
  NOR_WRITE(NOR_MEMORY_ADRESS1, NOR_CMD_DATA_READ_RESET);
  verify[0]=*(__IO uint16_t *)(NOR_MEMORY_ADRESS1);
  verify[1]=*(__IO uint16_t *)(NOR_MEMORY_ADRESS1+2);
  verify[2]=*(__IO uint16_t *)(NOR_MEMORY_ADRESS1+4);

I know that I have different data stored inside the chip, I have one external loader developed for that chip, running on STM32CubeProgrammer and I can erase, read and write the memory. The operation to read chip only work after the second try. How I can solve this problem?

Best regards,
Luis Cristovão

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hello Luis,

The EcoSystems Team has checked that the STM32H7A3ZGT6 supports FMC peripheral and could configure STM32 CubeMx (chip configuration - code generation file) project as parallel flash config like in the schematic’s pin map you had provided previously.  The parallel NOR S29GL512S should work with STM32H7 with FMC (Flexible Memory Controller) and Infineon has tested S29GL-S successfully on the STM FMC bus in the previous generation MCU's, but not specifically tested with the newer STM32H7.

As Infineon has limited information on ST's Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for flash operation control, it is recommended that AutoStore Systems contact ST Micro for further flash support on programming and reading operations, using ST's Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

Best regards,
Albert

Cypress Semiconductor Corp.

An Infineon Technologies Company

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Luis,

Thank you for contacting Infineon Technologies.

FYI, all Infineon Flash memory products are shipped from the factory in the erased state, all ONE's (FFFF's)

How are you able to verify the device parameters, command set and the device ID?  What commands are being sent to the S29GL512S?   Or, is the Common Flash Interface (CFI) being used to verify the device?

If the WP# input signal pin is connected to logic LOW, the lowest or highest addresses of the S29GL512S will be protected from program or erase operation.  Therefore, any attempt to program (or erase) data into the lowest or highest addresses, while WP# is connected to logic LOW will be disabled.  When WP# is connected to logic LOW program and erase functions are disabled in the lowest or highest address.  When WP# is connected to logic HIGH, the the lowest or highest addresses is not protected.   If the WP# input signal pin is not to be utilized, ensure to connect the WP# to logic HIGH.  

Best regards,

Albert

0 Likes
lcristovao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,
I have a sure that I have data stored inside the memory I can verify it with STM32CubeProgrammer. My memory are connected to first bank memory of STM32H7A3 with start address (0x60000000). The values stored in memory are like you can see in next image.

lcristovao_0-1648532417906.png
I read the fowling parameters:

-CommandSet(SA+0x0013)=0x0002
-ManufID (SA+0x0000)=0x0001
-DeviceID(SA+0x0001)=0x227E
-DeviceID(SA+0x000E)=0x2223
-DeviceID(SA+0x000F)=0x2201 

And in my board I have the WP# connected to VCC and all connections are like the fowling image.

lcristovao_0-1648537312620.png

Best regards,
Luis Cristóvão

0 Likes
AlbertB_56
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 replies posted

Hello Luis,

Thank you for your response.

I have consulted with the EcoSystems Team with regards to this issue.  The STM32H7A3xx should support the S29GL512Sxx, and the schematic you had provided appears to the correct.  However, just to make certain, the EcoSystems Team would like to know the ordering part number (OPN) of the STM32H7A3xx.  Please provide the complete ordering part number (OPN) of the STM32H7A3 at your earliest convenience.  According to the STM32H7A3xx datasheet there are several OPN options, but the Ecosystem Team would like to know as to what you are actually using with the S29GL512Sxx.

Thank you in advance...

Best regards,
Albert

0 Likes
lcristovao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Albert,

The part number that I use at the moment is STM32H7A3ZGT6 and the memory is S29GL512S11DHIV23.

Best regards,
Luis

0 Likes

Thank you Luis,

I will communicate this info to the EcoSystems Team.

Best regards,
Albert

0 Likes

Hello Luis,

The EcoSystems Team has checked that the STM32H7A3ZGT6 supports FMC peripheral and could configure STM32 CubeMx (chip configuration - code generation file) project as parallel flash config like in the schematic’s pin map you had provided previously.  The parallel NOR S29GL512S should work with STM32H7 with FMC (Flexible Memory Controller) and Infineon has tested S29GL-S successfully on the STM FMC bus in the previous generation MCU's, but not specifically tested with the newer STM32H7.

As Infineon has limited information on ST's Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) for flash operation control, it is recommended that AutoStore Systems contact ST Micro for further flash support on programming and reading operations, using ST's Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

Best regards,
Albert

0 Likes

Hello Luis,

The EcoSystems Team has checked that the STM32H7A3ZGT6 supports FMC peripheral and could configure STM32 CubeMx (chip configuration - code generation file) project as parallel flash config like in the schematic’s pin map you had provided previously.  The parallel NOR S29GL512S should work with STM32H7 with FMC (Flexible Memory Controller) and Infineon has tested S29GL-S successfully on the STM FMC bus in the previous generation MCU's, but not specifically tested with the newer STM32H7.

Best regards,
Albert

0 Likes