In continuation with problem "512Mb flash S25FL512SAGMFI013 failure"

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
anuragps
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 10 sign-ins 5 replies posted

Hi, 

Raising this new ticket as previous one "512Mb flash S25FL512SAGMFI013 failure" closed and not able to reply for the post.

Background:

SPI Serial Flash Memory S25FL512SAGMFIR11, 512Mbit, SO16 package is going for failure within 6 months to 1 year of time period.

An update from my originally reported problem. 

On analyzing one of the field return card. I am able to read device ID of this part but starting few sectors read/ write is not consistent and finding number of places data read not matching with data written.

We tried to reprogram multiple times but data integrity is not there in various sectors belong to first bank.

Device ID is getting detected by firmware always. Just printing one uboot print of processor log.

Detected S25FL512S_256K with page size 512 Bytes, erase size 256 KiB, total 64 MiB

Since data is not consistent in various sectors and we are using this as processor boot memory, so processor gets stuck during bootup.

We are using  mostly first bank (16MB) location only for processor uboot. On faulty chip, we found read/write access to locations 4MB onwards (all 3 banks except first) is ok. Since it is processor boot memory, so would be read just once during processor boot and write only if any image upgrade needed. (Happened 4-5 times only)

Datasheet mentions 100,000 Program-Erase Cycles on any sector typical. These sites are not having power backup and almost gets power cycle on daily basis but it does not explain endurance of sectors.

Please take up this on high priority. What is the external operating factor explains this issue.

Thanks

Anurag

0 Likes
5 Replies
SudheeshK
250 sign-ins First question asked 750 replies posted

Hello Anurag,

Data corruption in our flash can happen, if there is an abrupt power down during a program operation. From the case description I understand that you are not able to reprogram our flash device. 

Did you erase the flash before programming the data again? If not, please erase the flash and make sure that data in all locations are 0xFF before reprogramming.

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh 

0 Likes

Hi Sudheesh,

Erase before programming is the standard procedure always we follow. Even some time blank check post erase also fails in these sectors. But after successful erase too, we are finding read data mismatch with write data in these faulty chips.

Thanks

Anurag

0 Likes
SudheeshK

Hello Anurag,

Sorry for the delay in our response. 

From your previous response, I understood, you are facing issues with both erase and program operations in the failing units. Could you please let me know, how many devices have failed in the field because of this issue?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi Sudheesh,

We have almost 70 failures out of 800 cards in last one year.

Thanks

Anurag

0 Likes
SudheeshK

Hello Anurag,

I apologize for the delay from my side. 

As I mentioned before abrupt power down during a program, erase or register write operation can corrupt both flash memory locations and internal register settings. Since, you are observing data corruption even after a successful erase operation, internal protection might got enabled inside the flash device, Block protection, PPB or DYB. If you are still facing this issue could you please check the protection status of all the sectors where 16MB uboot code is located inside flash?

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes