For S25FL 128L how to clear the WIP bit ?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Alectronic
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi ,

I'm using the flash chips of Cypress  S25FL256SAGBHI300 , and the WIP bit in the Status_register_1 indicates always a 1 and never 0 even after a power ON/OFF/ON .

Is it possible to clear that bit ?

Thanks for your help.

Alex

0 Likes
1 Solution
Yuvraj
250 replies posted 25 likes received 100 solutions authored

Hi Alex,

Sorry for my previous reply, I got confused the WEL bit with the WIP bit.

From the data sheet you can see WIP bit is Volatile, Read-only, so we can't write to this bit.

This bit's status is set by flash itself.

We want to know, are you getting WIP bit in the Status_register_1 indicates always a 1 in a new device or already used devices.

Which are the operations being performing before checking status register.  

Please make sure you are following Power-up and power-down as per data sheet from page 33 of the data sheet.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
Yuvraj

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Infineon Technologies.

If you want to clear (Set, it as 0) WIP bit in the Status_register_1 you need to use Write Disable (WRDI 04h).

Please refer Write Disable (WRDI) command sequence from data sheet of page 84. 

Link to download data sheet https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-S25FL128SS25FL256S_128_Mb_(16_MB)256_Mb_(32_MB)_3.0V_SPI_Flas...

If you have additional quires, please let me know, I am happy to solve your doubts.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes

Hi Yuvraj ,

Thanks for your reply , but I 'm not sure your solution will solve the issue.

The WRDI commande sets the WEL bit to a '0'   not the WIP ( Write in progress) bit . It is written a little further in the text that the WRDI command is ignored ... while WIP bit = '1' .

My issue is that the WIP bit is always set to '1' even after a power on and at the first status register reading .

Regards

Alex

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi Alex,

Sorry for my previous reply, I got confused the WEL bit with the WIP bit.

From the data sheet you can see WIP bit is Volatile, Read-only, so we can't write to this bit.

This bit's status is set by flash itself.

We want to know, are you getting WIP bit in the Status_register_1 indicates always a 1 in a new device or already used devices.

Please make sure you are following Power-up and power-down as per data sheet from page 33 of the data sheet.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes

Hi Yuvraj ,

Thanks for your reply .

The WIP indicates always a 1 in this already device .

The WIP indicates 0 in a new device.

After power on , a Write Enable command(WREN)  is performing before checking the status register_1 .

Regarding Power-up and power-down all is ok and the conditions are meet.

I suppose that the device is locked in a ''Write In Progrees'' state and we can't unlock it.

Regards.

Alex

0 Likes
Yuvraj

Hi,

I am thinking. you might have corrupted the FLASH device.

Corruption might happen due to abrupt power during embedded operation such as programming or erasing.

Please avoid sudden/abrupt power down during any operation in your application for your new devices.

Regards,

Yuvraj 

0 Likes