Can Register access use all four I/O lanes to perform faster in Quad SPI mode?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Can Status and Configuration reads and writes use all four I/O lanes to perform faster in Quad SPI mode?

When interfacing to a memory component that can operate in Serial, Dual or Quad SPI modes, do Status and Configuration reads and writes only use single SPI mode or can they be performed faster by using Quad SPI mode?

If Register Access can use Quad SPI mode, how is the state of the Quad bit determined to know which mode to use to read the Configuration register?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Apurva_S
100 likes received 500 replies posted 250 solutions authored

Hi Greg,

As you can see in the S25FL-S device datasheets, there are no Quad commands for register access. Therefore, all the register access commands will only work in Single SPI mode.

However, some device families, (for example FL-L) support QPI mode. QPI mode transfers ALL instructions, addresses, and data from the host to the memory as four bit (nibble) groups on IO0, IO1, IO2, and IO3. Data is returned to the host similarly as four bit (nibble) groups on IO0, IO1, IO2, and IO3.

Regards.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Apurva_S

Hi @GrCa_1363456 

Can you please provide the part number of the device you are referring to?

Regards.

0 Likes
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

Thanks for the request for clarification.

I'm specifically interested in Quad SPI NOR Flash, S25FL-S.

I'm generally interested in all Quad SPI interfaced including FRAM.

Greg

0 Likes
Apurva_S

Hi Greg,

As you can see in the S25FL-S device datasheets, there are no Quad commands for register access. Therefore, all the register access commands will only work in Single SPI mode.

However, some device families, (for example FL-L) support QPI mode. QPI mode transfers ALL instructions, addresses, and data from the host to the memory as four bit (nibble) groups on IO0, IO1, IO2, and IO3. Data is returned to the host similarly as four bit (nibble) groups on IO0, IO1, IO2, and IO3.

Regards.