What are the pros and cons of FRAM versus nvSRAM?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GrCa_1363456
Level 6
Level 6
50 likes received Beta tester First comment on KBA

A 1 Mbit SPI FRAM (FM25V10-G) appears identical to a 1 Mbit SPI nvSRAM (CY14V101Q3-SFXI) from a user perspective.
What are the key differences between these technologies?

For which applications would one be preferred over the other?

Are they interchangeable in a design?

Greg

0 Likes
1 Solution
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Greg,

I will try to list out the major differences between the two products/ part numbers you have mentioned as both are non volatile memories.

1) FRAM will consume less active and standby current than the nvSRAM counterpart and hence more suited for battery backed applications or power constraint applications. 

2) A Capacitor needs to added in the schematics for the VCAP pin for nvSRAM. No capacitor required for FRAM.

3)  Endurance is a measure of the number of times the SRAM data can be stored into nonvolatile memory before the cell wears out. In the nvSRAM, the user performs writes to the SRAM portion of chip, which has no wear out
problem, and can be accessed unlimited number of times unlike the FRAM.

4) This nvSRAM has I/Os VCCQ as 1.65 V to 1.95 V which is different than the FRAM for the I/Os will operate at VCC voltage. So these two specific part numbers are not interchangeable.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi Greg,

I will try to list out the major differences between the two products/ part numbers you have mentioned as both are non volatile memories.

1) FRAM will consume less active and standby current than the nvSRAM counterpart and hence more suited for battery backed applications or power constraint applications. 

2) A Capacitor needs to added in the schematics for the VCAP pin for nvSRAM. No capacitor required for FRAM.

3)  Endurance is a measure of the number of times the SRAM data can be stored into nonvolatile memory before the cell wears out. In the nvSRAM, the user performs writes to the SRAM portion of chip, which has no wear out
problem, and can be accessed unlimited number of times unlike the FRAM.

4) This nvSRAM has I/Os VCCQ as 1.65 V to 1.95 V which is different than the FRAM for the I/Os will operate at VCC voltage. So these two specific part numbers are not interchangeable.

Thanks,

Pradipta.