Very high current consumption FM31256-G with external generator

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
LeonidP
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi,

I want to use FM31256-G with external generator.

I have built a test schematic (please look at the attachment).

So when i'm disabling 5V source i observe too high current flow through the R1 resistor and Supercap C2 is discharging very quickly. I've measured the current through R1 and it was about 700uA when C2 was fully charged.

I've made an experiment and disconnected X1 and X2 from D3 and D4. After that current trough R1 became about 3 uA.

So i observe high current consumption only when external generator is connected to FM31256-G.

Do you have any ideas how to solve that?

0 Likes
1 Solution
GirijaC
50 sign-ins 25 sign-ins 10 solutions authored

Hi Leonid,

Are you able to communicate to the device? Can you please try to enable/Disable the OSCEN# bit@01h RTC register (bit 7). See if enabling and disabling will impact the measurement. 

Thanks,

Girija

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Ritwick_S
100 solutions authored 25 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @LeonidP,

It is not recommended to power the external oscillator and other external circuitry through a supercapacitor. Please refer to our AN401. So, please remove D3 and D4 from the Vbak line and provide supply to them separately. You can use a simple 32.768 kHz crystal instead of an external oscillator.

Also, according to the schematic given in the App note, you have to connect a current limiting resistor before the Schottky diode, and there is no resistor like 1K in series to the supercapacitor. There is no 0.1 uF capacitor in parallel to the supercapacitor. So, please correct your schematic as per the App note.

ritwicksharma_0-1658745971536.png

Thanks,

Ritwick

0 Likes
lock attach
LeonidP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ritwick,

thank you for your reply.

According to the appnote AN402 i used an external oscillator with invertor to provide clock to X1 and X2 (i didn't want to use crystal since they have a big dependency on temperature).
Since i'm using an external oscillator i can't disconnect it from Vbak because i want my clock to continue counting even when there is not main 5V supply.
I've placed a current limiting resistor before the shottky diode and removed 1K resistor which was in series with supercap and also removed a 0.1uF capacitor. But situation is still the same - when 5V supply is disabled i observe a high current through the supercap and very quick discharging.
Please look at the attached schematic.

0 Likes
Ritwick_S
100 solutions authored 25 likes received 250 sign-ins

Hi @LeonidP,

Could you please once test it by disconnecting D3 and D4 from the Vbak line and providing the supply to them separately and let us know the current value observed?

Thanks,

Ritwick

0 Likes
LeonidP
Level 1
Level 1

I have already tested that.

When i disconnect D3 and D4 i have about 1.5 uA consumption trough Vbak.
But also if I connect D3 and D4 to Vbak but disconnect them from FM31256 X1 and X2 I also have about quite small 4uA consumption.
But when i connect D3 and D4 to FM31256 X1 and X2 i'm getting quite high current about 700uA.

With regards,
Leonid.

0 Likes
lock attach
LeonidP
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ritwick,

i've made another measurement.
Please take a look at my testing schematic.
I've added 100 Ohm resistors in series with X1 and X2.
I've measured the AC voltage drop on the R2 and R3 by using oscilloscope when 5V power is applied. It was about 30mV (if you need i can provide waveforms). It means that current consumption through X1 and X2 pins is about 300uA which in sum makes about 600 uA for both.
That's why my generator (D3) and invertor (D4) start consuming a lot when i'm connecting them to FM31256.
Is that correct behavior of this device with external generator connected? Datasheet doesn't specify leakage current through this pins.

LeonidP_0-1658761730739.png

Does it mean that this current can be so big?

0 Likes
GirijaC

Hi Leonid,

Could you please apply the input Voltage to D1 (Currently 5V is applied) within RTC backup voltage range, VBAK ( 1.55V – 3.75V@+25 C to +85 C and  1.90V – 3.75V @–40 C to +25 C. Looks like input Voltage to VBAK pin is out of datasheet specified range which might be triggering some unknown behavior on the chip.

You can try with typical 3V or best option available on your board within VBAK max limit (3.75V).

Thanks,

Girija

0 Likes

Hi @GirijaC ,

D1 is a voltage regulator (LD1117AS33TR). It's input is 5V and it's output (applied to the R1, D1 and finally to VBAK is 3.3V (actual voltage at VBAK pin is about 3 V due to some voltage drop on R1 and D1) which is withing the allowed range for VBAK input. So that VBAK voltage is not out of the datasheet specified range.

With regards,
Leonid.

0 Likes
GirijaC

Hi Leonid,

Are you able to communicate to the device? Can you please try to enable/Disable the OSCEN# bit@01h RTC register (bit 7). See if enabling and disabling will impact the measurement. 

Thanks,

Girija

0 Likes

Hi

According to the datasheet, if you use an external oscillator, connect it to X1 and leave X2 floating.

Do not connect X2 as it is typically the output of an internal inverter.

0 Likes