More info on FM33256B

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
ShPa_4559176
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

From the datasheet, it indicated that FM33256B is logically separated between its FRAM and Integrated Processor Companion portion.

Anyone knows if the silicon die inside is separated too ? i.e. 2 silicon dies on common package. ?

If they are separated, are both dies made using the same process technology ? (I read somewhere the FRAM portion was made by TI's 130nm process. )

And if they are made on the same /die, would an error on the Integrated Processor Companion portion affects the FRAM portion and vice versa ?

Lastly, by any chance  is the FM33256B radiation harden ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,

SX Pang

0 Likes
1 Solution
ShivendraSingh
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 50 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Hi,

Please see my comments below, starting ++.

From the datasheet, it indicated that FM33256B is logically separated between its FRAM and Integrated Processor Companion portion. Anyone knows if the silicon die inside is separated too ? i.e. 2 silicon dies on common package. ?

++Yes, F-RAM processor companion is a two die solution, in a common package. 

If they are separated, are both dies made using the same process technology ? (I read somewhere the FRAM portion was made by TI's 130nm process. )

++Two dies are made using different technology nodes.  FRAM is a 130-nm Ferro technology while companion die is 180-nm CMOS.

And if they are made on the same /die, would an error on the Integrated Processor Companion portion affects the FRAM portion and vice versa ?

++Even though they are separate die, but they work only as a companion. Therefore, any error affecting one of the two dies, it may cause the device non functional.

++Even though F-RAM technology is highly radiation tolerance, but since companion die is not a radiation hardened design, the FM33256B product is not radiation harden.

Best Regards,

Shivendra

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ShivendraSingh
Employee
Employee
25 solutions authored 50 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Hi,

Please see my comments below, starting ++.

From the datasheet, it indicated that FM33256B is logically separated between its FRAM and Integrated Processor Companion portion. Anyone knows if the silicon die inside is separated too ? i.e. 2 silicon dies on common package. ?

++Yes, F-RAM processor companion is a two die solution, in a common package. 

++Two dies are made using different technology nodes.  FRAM is a 130-nm Ferro technology while companion die is 180-nm CMOS.

++Even though they are separate die, but they work only as a companion. Therefore, any error affecting one of the two dies, it may cause the device non functional.

++Even though F-RAM technology is highly radiation tolerance, but since companion die is not a radiation hardened design, the FM33256B product is not radiation harden.

Best Regards,

Shivendra

Hi Shivendra,

Thanks alot for the information, they are certainly insightful !

There is one more thing i would like to ask:

Based on what you mentioned about the working principles/physical properties of FM33256B, is FM25W256 (another 256Kbit FRAM) the same ? i.e. two die solution, error on 1 die may cause device non functional, etc. ?

Thanks in advance !

Regards,

SX Pang

0 Likes

Hi,

FM25W256 is not a processor companion device as FM33256B. Following features are not available in FM25W256.

• real time clock
  • low-VDD reset
  • watchdog timer
  • nonvolatile event counter
  • lockable 64-bit serial number area
  • and general purpose comparator

Thanks and Regards,

Sudheesh

0 Likes

Hi SX Pang,

Yes, the FM25W256 is also a two die solution and both dice have inter-dependency for the device operation. If you are looking for a single die, 256Kb, SPI F-RAM option then you may consider FM25V02A (https://www.cypress.com/part/fm25v02a-g​).

Please let me know if you are looking for any specific characteristic in the device, the I can review and assist you with more appropriate option.  

Best Regards,

Shivendra

Hi Shivendra,

Once again, thank you so much for the information.

Just to be sure, am I correct to say the FM25W256 is structurally similar to FM33256B  : 130-nm Ferro technology for F-RAM, 180nm cmos for ancillary functions (instruction decoder, register, etc.)

We are planning to use FM33256B, and was hoping it is physically similar to the old FM24C256 or the even FM25W256 so that we don't need do too much re-validation on the device.

Thanks.

Regards,

SX Pang

0 Likes

Hi SX Pang,

Yes, both devices (FM25W256 and FM33256B ) are structurally similar except that FM25W256 is a memory only device while FM33256B  is a processor companion part which includes a 256Kb F-RAM memory  + processor companion features (RTC, calendar and alarms, watchdog, event detect etc). Both use identical 130-nm F-RAM technology on the memory die and IBM 180-nm on the front end die.

Just for your clarification - you have also mentioned FM24C256 which is an obsolete device; the next best alternative to this part is FM24W256.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Shivendra

Hi Shivendra,

Understood.

Thank you so much for your great help !

Greatly appreciated.

Regards,

SX Pang

0 Likes