BPF flag on the CY14B101PA

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
RaHa_4444161
Level 1
Level 1

I am using a CY14B101PA, NvRAM/RTC device.

I remove the RTC backup battery. After powerup, I see the OSCF and BPF asserted. I clear them and wait 10 msec. I see the OSCF remain at 0, which makes sense. However, the BPF flag remains 0 even though there is no RTC battery.

Is this expected behavior?

Thank you for any input.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Hi,

Please find my comments below.

Q) Our SW design, allows soft resets to happen in order to enter different modes of operation. Is it possible to NOT clear the BPF flag and still use the RTC normally?

Ans) Yes, you can use RTC normally. The primary purpose of the BPF is to indicate to the user that there was a backup power failure. Now it is upto the user to use this information as he/she deems fit.

The only disadvantage of not clearing this flag is you will not be able to detect future failures of backup power. It can happen over time say your backup cap or battery has worn out and not performing as expected, so you will fail to catch this.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
PradiptaB_11
500 replies posted 250 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi,

The BPF flag is set on backup power failure (either capacitor or battery). The backup power fail flag (BPF) is issued on the next power-up in case of backup power failure. The BPF flag is set in the event of backup voltage falling lower than VBAKFAIL. Once you have cleared it will remain 0 until the device experience another backup power failure (with backup power applied). With no backup power since it is a volatile bit it will not set. This is expected behavior.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes

Thank you for your response.

Our SW design, allows soft resets to happen in order to enter different modes of operation. Is it possible to NOT clear the BPF flag and still use the RTC normally?

I am asking this question because the datasheet states, "User must reset this bit to clear this flag.". If I do not clear the flag, what are the affects?

Thank you for your time.

0 Likes

Hi,

Please find my comments below.

Q) Our SW design, allows soft resets to happen in order to enter different modes of operation. Is it possible to NOT clear the BPF flag and still use the RTC normally?

Ans) Yes, you can use RTC normally. The primary purpose of the BPF is to indicate to the user that there was a backup power failure. Now it is upto the user to use this information as he/she deems fit.

The only disadvantage of not clearing this flag is you will not be able to detect future failures of backup power. It can happen over time say your backup cap or battery has worn out and not performing as expected, so you will fail to catch this.

Thanks,

Pradipta.

0 Likes