imc102 i motion link communication problem

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Danmerkley
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted First solution authored First like received

Hi, 

I have been designing a motor control / pfc design based around the imc 102 f048 and IM564-X6D.

I am trying to use I motion link and MCE designer with the firmware download for imc102t f048 to connect to program the chip but i get the following errorerror.pngCom5 is the correct com port, i have 3.3v and gnd supplied to the target through the i motion link and tx0 and rx0 lines connected to pin 46 and 45 respectively. I have power and ground confirmed at the chip pins and when i attempt to connect i can see on a scope a byte is sent from the i motion link to the chips rx pin. But there is no response on the chips tx pin (pin 46)... it remains at 0v and the error appears in mce designer. I have tried this now on two boards with the same result. 

Hoping someone can give me some suggestions

0 Likes
1 Solution
Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Steps to Program new iMotion Controller

Please follow the below steps when programming a new device :

1)  Turn-OFF the 3.3v supply from iMOTION link to the controller

2) Try to establish connection using the preference --> connections tab, Press OK

3) It gives below communication error screen

Viswa_0-1670996603431.png

4.Press cancel

5.Now again open the Preference--> connection tab with 3.3V OFF on the iMOTION link.

6.Now Turn-ON 3.3V on the iMOTION link and then press OK. The connection will now get establishedViswa_1-1670996603434.png

7. Once connection is established and if it is a new chip below pop-up message will be displayed in MCE Designer

Viswa_2-1670996603439.png

8. Under Tools-> Programmer Select the appropriate parameter.txt file and firmware file to program the device. If chip is detected and in programming then below window will be popped up.

Viswa_3-1670996603441.png

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Viswa

Hi @Danmerkley 

Can you please provide the line diagram/schematic of the connections between the iMOTION link and the iMOTION control board.

Best Regards

0 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

i motion pinout.pngimotion chip.pngso the i motion link is connected to header j1 as per the pinout in the i motion link manual. Pin 7 on imotion link is connected to pin 45 on chip and pin 8 is connected to pin 46 on chip

0 Likes
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @Danmerkley,

This could be due to reasons like UART0 being configured as user UART in your MCE Wizard or UART Communication failure.

Could you please follow the below steps and try if it solves your issue

Krupashankar_0-1665140363228.png

You could also refer to section 5.1 of the document AN2020-07

Could you please let us know if the port is getting detected properly?

Could you please let us know if UART0 is configured user UART? If Yes, then you will not be able to use MCE Designer In that case please try above method to re gain the access.

Please make sure if the 3.3V is not dropping at the time of programming.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes

Hi, I have not yet been able to connect to the device so I don't think it is possible for the UART to become set to user interface. The i motion link seems to be connecting to the pc properly and is recognized in device manager as com5. i checked the 3.3v supply during communication and it shows no voltage drop during communication.

I tried to reprogram the parameter file using the method you suggest... I have the i motion link connected to the computer and the target chip with 3.3v supply switched off. with mcedesigner open i enter the programmer mode and select my parameter file then click start. Then i switch on the 3.3v supply to turn on the target chip. After several seconds delay i get this error 

param error.png

0 Likes
nin
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted First like given

Hi @Danmerkley 

Please refer the following diagram:

ninadwaingankar_0-1665398155103.png

Please populate the 0 Ω resistor to 5V pad and remove the resistor on 3.3V supply. Program the iMOTION controller by supplying 5V supply from iMOTION LINK. Please let us know if this works.

Thanks and regards,

Ninad

0 Likes
Danmerkley
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, I tried changing the i motion voltage to 5v, still had the same problems.

Tried replacing the imc102 chip with a brand new one and still no communication.

Is the Tx line of the imc102 supposed to be held at 0v when not in use or is it supposed to be at 3.3v like the Tx coming from the i motion link? 

When connected, the Tx of the imotion link goes to 3.3v and the tx from the chip goes to 0v.

Is this normal?

0 Likes
Danmerkley
Level 3
Level 3

Still having no luck connecting to these chips whatsoever.

I have a new imotion link coming tomorrow to try but still hoping someone can give me an answer on what the idle state of TX0 is supposed to be on imc102?

Viswa

Steps to Program new iMotion Controller

Please follow the below steps when programming a new device :

1)  Turn-OFF the 3.3v supply from iMOTION link to the controller

2) Try to establish connection using the preference --> connections tab, Press OK

3) It gives below communication error screen

Viswa_0-1670996603431.png

4.Press cancel

5.Now again open the Preference--> connection tab with 3.3V OFF on the iMOTION link.

6.Now Turn-ON 3.3V on the iMOTION link and then press OK. The connection will now get establishedViswa_1-1670996603434.png

7. Once connection is established and if it is a new chip below pop-up message will be displayed in MCE Designer

Viswa_2-1670996603439.png

8. Under Tools-> Programmer Select the appropriate parameter.txt file and firmware file to program the device. If chip is detected and in programming then below window will be popped up.

Viswa_3-1670996603441.png

0 Likes