iMotion Link setup for interfacing with custom board with IMC101TF and 5V power supply

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
aneedles
Level 3
Level 3
25 replies posted 10 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi,

I am connecting up the iMotion-Link for the first time. I understand from my previous post (see link below) that I can use 5V logic on the target board.

https://community.infineon.com/t5/iMOTION-controller-driver-IPM/iMotion-Link-useable-for-interfacing...

However, now that I am using the iMotion-Link, I am not getting ANY signal out the RXD1 pin (which should transmit to the IMC101's RX0 pin on my board).  Both RXD1 and TXD1 pins from the iMotion-Link 8-pin header connector appear to be floating. Of course, the 3.3V switch is turned off as well.

I hook up the USB cable between PC and the iMotion-Link, run MCEDesigner, the virutal serial port appears (as COM10) and then I try to connect over the port. However, no signals are generated from the RXD1 and TXD1 pins.  What could be going wrong?

Do I need to apply my 5V power to the 3.3V pins on the header connector?  I thought that RXD1 pin would be driven without needing this.

I also verified that resistor R1 is not present on the iMotion-Link per previous posts on this issue. I purchased the unit earlier this year.

Thanks,

Aaron

0 Likes
1 Solution
LinGuohui
500 replies posted 50 likes received 250 solutions authored

There is no problem with  iMotion-Link documentation. 

No signal out of RXD1 pin, Do you have connect external 5V with iMotion link"3.3V"Pin?

These isolated IC need power supply on isolated area when you turn off the "3.3V out" switch. 

LinGuohui_0-1659939726497.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
LinGuohui

Hi aneedles, 

First of all, you should ensure the IMC101T board is supplied by an external power (5V or 3.3V). Because It's no power supply when you turned off the iMotion link's 3.3V out switch. So that the IMC101T can not work as well.

0 Likes
aneedles
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, of course. The IMC101T board has its own power supply and that power is turned on, providing 5V power to the IMC101T and other circuits.

I am running The iMotion-Link from a PC which is running MCEDesigner as I explained, and the virtual serial port (COM10) is correctly detected by MCEDesigner. But the iMotion-Link is not providing serial port signal on the RXD1 pin.  Is this normal?  What do I need to do to get the device to drive the serial port pin? 

0 Likes
LinGuohui

1. There are tow serial port of IMC101. UART0 and UART1. You should check which one is configured for MCE used or customer used.

2.IMotion Link RXD1 pin should connect with IMC101 TXD pin, so the signal of RXD1 is suppiled by IMC101 TXD pin. 

0 Likes
aneedles
Level 3
Level 3

Is the iMotion-Link documentation wrong?  It says that RXD1 is the "transmission line of PC/laptop" which I think refers to the iMotion-Link which is the laptop's interface. See also the connector diagram on the same page.

As I have already said, I see no signal coming out of this pin when using MCEDesigner, which has been setup correctly.

What is needed to get the transmit line to work?  

aneedles_0-1659928808180.png

0 Likes
LinGuohui

There is no problem with  iMotion-Link documentation. 

No signal out of RXD1 pin, Do you have connect external 5V with iMotion link"3.3V"Pin?

These isolated IC need power supply on isolated area when you turn off the "3.3V out" switch. 

LinGuohui_0-1659939726497.png

Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @JasonLEE,

In the case of iMOTION Link 8 Pin Debug connector, the PC  lines are internally swapped and RXD1 of Debug connector can be connected to RXD0 of iMOTION Device

Krupashankar_0-1659939917598.png

Thanks,

Krupashankar

aneedles
Level 3
Level 3

Thank you! This is extremely helpful information and I suggest you update your user manual for the iMotion-Link to clarify that the target board must provide power to the 3.3VDC pins if the iMotion-Link's internal 3.3VDC power supply is not used, and also that the power can be supplied in the range 3.3VDC to 5.0VDC. This will save your users a lot of time trying to figure this out and less questions on the forum. 

Thanks!

0 Likes