Runing a motor using EVAL-M1-101TF with Hall Sensors

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jaimerueda
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Currently, I am working with the iMotion system using a combination of EVAL-M1-101TF and an EVAL-M1-IM535 to test a possible solution for an application to our line of products.

The motor is a 160VDC 1/2 HP, four poles with three digital hall sensors, Continuous Current 4.7 Amps, Per phase L is 1.1 mH, Per phase R is 1.5 Ohms, and Ke=34V/Krpm.

Using the MCEWizard_V2.3 and MCEDesigner_V2.3, I can make the motor spin with a NO HALL sensor configuration, and also, the motor can barely start with the HALL SENSOR configuration. My goal is to use the hall sensors, but I can't find information about installing and configuring this on the EVAL-M1-101TF manual or the EVAL-M1-IM535 manual. There is some information about the hall sensors on the MCE manual, but I still can't find how to run the motor using the hall sensor for my application. I also checked the videos on the Infineon website and application Notes.

When I configure the MADK controller without the HALL Sensor; the motor starts, rotate CCW, and I can make it run up to 2800 RPM (For reference, the Max. speed for the application is 3200 RPM)

When I configure the MADK controller with the HALL sensors, the motor barely starts, the movement is shaky, and below 100 RPM, the speed never goes above 100 RPM, and rotation is CW.

When I perform the "VF diagnostics" as suggested on step 10, page 13 of the EVAL-M1-IM535 user guide, the motor current feedback is very clean and sinusoidal, as expected. The motor rotates smoothly to the selected target speed of 300 RPM, and the direction is CCW. The motor movement is again  shaky if I perform the "VF Diagnostics" with a target speed above 450 RPM.

For clarification, I connected and checked the hall sensors using an oscilloscope, and the hall sensors are working OK. Also, I already made the required modification to R9 and R10 on EVAL-M1-101TF for current sensing.

Has anyone tried a combination of EVAL-M1-101TF and an EVAL-M1-IM535 using hall sensors?
What do I need to check and configure to run the motor using the EVAL-M1-101TF with the hall sensors?
On the configuration page of the MCEWizard, I selected controller device package: TQFP48. Is that right? (There is no information about this in the EVAL-M1-101TF manual)

Does Infineon have a way to assist customers in configuring and fine-tuning the system with iMotion MCEDesigner?

I include a copy of the parameters.txt file.

Thank you for you help ,

Jaime Rueda

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @jaimerueda,

You can enable hybrid mode by selecting options page -> Rotor angle calculation method->hall/flux Hybrid angle

Krupashankar_0-1647317704012.png

You could also refer to section: 2.1.14.10 Hall Sensor / Sensor-less Hybrid Operation in iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 

Please try earlier methods that we have shared and please let us know if that solves your issue.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @jaimerueda,

Thanks for posting in the Infineon Community.

Please make sure you have connected all hall sensor lines to J5- Hall sensor Input properly.

Could you please try following and check if it solves the problem?

• Interchanging the phase cables
  • Interchanging the hall sensor lines 

Could you please share the MCE Wizard .mc2 configuration file?

Could you please try running in hybrid mode to compare the PLL estimator angle with the Hall angle?

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
jaimerueda
Level 1
Level 1
5 sign-ins First reply posted First question asked

Hi Krupashankar,

Thanks for answering.

I checked the connections on the hall sensors input, and I am still testing all the possible combinations for the phase cables and hall sensors lines.

Here is a copy of the MCEWizard.mc2 file; please take a look.

In relation to "Could you please try running in hybrid mode to compare the PLL estimator angle with the Hall angle?" I don't know how to do that, could you please explain to me how to perform this part?

Thank you,

Jaime

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @jaimerueda,

You can enable hybrid mode by selecting options page -> Rotor angle calculation method->hall/flux Hybrid angle

Krupashankar_0-1647317704012.png

You could also refer to section: 2.1.14.10 Hall Sensor / Sensor-less Hybrid Operation in iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 

Please try earlier methods that we have shared and please let us know if that solves your issue.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes