Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
AsadBashir160
Level 3
Level 3
50 sign-ins 25 replies posted First like received

Hi, I'm working on Invertor compressor using EVAL-M1-IM535 controller board with EVAL-M1-101T-F048 controller. I have read manuals for both controller board "EVAL-M1-IM535" and controller. But now I'm stuck. My motor isn't running properly. It starts for a few seconds "approx 2 to 3 sec" then suddenly it stops. Amperes also aren't going above 0.51 A with full load.

I don't know which parameter is the problem. Kindly look into my MCE file and guide me.

Thanks and Regards.

AsadBashir160

1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @AsadBashir160 

1. From the MCEWizard file, I can see that the inductance values have been entered when current through inductance is 3A and test is done at 100Hz. If you look into our motor parameter measurement tutorial at https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-How-to-Measure-Motor-Parameters-ApplicationPresentation-v01_0... , the test should be done at 1KHz at no load. Please do this experiment at your end and enter the correct values.
  2. Based on the values entered, the L/R ratio is 12.62. Please enter a value in Flux Estimator Time Constant (Q60) which is 4 to 5 times of 12.62. currently the value entered is 15msec.
  3. For Q85, I had earlier mentioned in my last post, that for the offset calculation, please measure the voltage in mV at the current sense pin when the shunt current is zero. Enter the obtained value in Q85. Based on value of this offset, Q84 has to be set.

Gint(Q84) X V_Off(Q85) = Vdd/2.

Please enter the correct parameters for Q84 and Q85.
  4. Please look into Q7, Motor Back EMF Constant. The value entered is 36 V(ln-rms)/KRPM. The motor datasheet mentions this parameter as 44.24 V (Line-Line rms)/KRPM, which when converted, will give a value of 25.54V(ln-neutral rms)/KRPM. Please update this value.
  5. I would suggest you to enable overmodulation in this case.
  6. Please provide us the following waveforms:
    1. Dc bus voltage on the MADK board
    2. Current vs Speed waveforms.

Best Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

18 Replies
RupakC

Hello @AsadBashir160 

Based on the attached configuration file, we have noticed the following which limits the starting current:

1. Please increase the values entered in Q14. Low speed current limit can be kept at around 70 %.

2. To increase the starting torque, please reduce the value entered in Q11. Open Loop speed ramp rate may be kept within 50-100RPM/s. These values might need to be changed at a later stage, while tuning. 

Please make sure motor parameters are measured and configured correctly. 

Could you please elaborate on what happens when the motor stops ? Do you see any fault ? Please provide the fault details that are displayed. 

Regards

RupakC
AsadBashir160
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, @RupakC 

Thank you for your reply. I will depend try changing those parameters.

As for what happens to motor is that when I run the file compressor vibrates which gives the idea that it is in running state. However, compressor does not provide any suction and discharge and the current measurement is also below 0.51A. For some files it even gives error and shuts down. The fault error it gives is "Rotor Lock Protection". However, I've read about rotor lock protection and I even disabled it but this doesn't resolve the issue.

Kindly, guide.

Thanks and Regards,

AsadBashir160

Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi

Can you please provide the datasheet, for us to verify the parameters entered in the wizard file.

Please follow the attached document to measure motor parameters

How to measure Motor Parameters

Best Regards,

Hi, @Viswa

I haven't received any reply from you yet.

Kindly reply.

Regards,

AsadBashir160

lock attach
AsadBashir160
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, @Viswa 

Thank you for your reply. Yes sure, here's the file.

Regards,

AsadBashir160

Viswa

Hi @AsadBashir160 

Can you please change the values of Q13 and Q14, the low speed threshold should be a lower value. 
the current required to reach 7000RPM is configured as 20% of full-scale value.

Please program the following parameters and let us know the system operation
Low Speed threshold--> 2000

Low Speed current limit --> 50%.

Best Regards,

Hi, @Viswa 

Sorry for the late reply. I was testing these parameters that you showed me. The result did get a little better from before at:

Low Speed threshold--> 4000

Low Speed current limit --> 50%

However, this still doesn't start the motor.

Regards,

AsadBashir160

lock attach

Hi @Viswa @RupakC  ,

My apologies for tagging both of you. I'm stuck in running my motor. I'm running my motor using F_048 controller and IM535 Evaluation board. Following attached files are my compressor's datasheet and my MCE Wizard file.

Kindly have a look at them and tell me if I'm going wrong somewhere because I've tried everything and now I'm stuck.

I'll be grateful for your assistance. Anxiously waiting for your reply.

Thanks and Regards,

AsadBashir160

Viswa

Hi @AsadBashir160 

1)  Can you please follow the document provided earlier to measure the motor inductance parameters and update the parameter file as per the same.

2) Also please check if the resistance R6 and R7 are removed as mentioned in page 19 of the user manual.

IM535 User Manual

Best Regards 

Hi @Viswa 

Apologies for the late reply. I was testing what you suggested. 

I did remove R6 and shorted R7, however now whenever I upload a parameter file MCE Designer instantly give Motor Fault before I even run the system.

AsadBashir160_0-1685169226737.png

I've tried changing parameters multiple times. Was it a mistake to remove R6 and R7 ?

Regard,

AsadBashir160

Hi @Viswa

There is one more thing that came to my attention. I'm using EVAL-M1-101T-F_048 controller with IM535 Evaluation board. But in IN535 manual page 19, the figure they mentioned is of EVAL-M1-101T-T038 controller as shown below:

AsadBashir160_0-1685175047124.png

So, I wanted to ask that do I have to combine IM535 with F_048 controller or T038 controller ?

Anxiously waiting for your reply.

Regards,

AsadBashir160

RupakC

Hello @AsadBashir160 

1. The three images below show the following:

1. Current feedback section on the EVAL-M1-101TF.
  2. Current feedback on the EVAL-M1-101T
  3. Modifications needed for EVAL-M1-101T
RupakC_4-1685369641256.png

Fig. a

RupakC_5-1685369641262.png

Fig. b

RupakC_6-1685369641277.png

Fig. c

As you might see, the current feedback circuits for both Fig. a and Fig. b are similar. Also, the resistances 2K ohm and 10K ohm need to be removed (10K is removed and 2K is shorted). Hence these resistances have no effect on the current feedback gain.

Therefore, please follow the picture below (Fig. 13 of user manual for EVAL-M1-IM535  https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-UG-2020-29_EVAL-M1-IM535-UserManual-v01_00-EN.pdf?fileId=5546... ) and enter a value of 25mV/A for the current input scaling parameter.

RupakC_7-1685369641309.png

However, please remember that you need to open circuit the resistance 10K ohm and short circuit the resistance 2K ohm in your controller board 101TF.

2. For the offset calculation in Q85 (Motor 1 Current Input to ADC Offset Voltage), please measure the voltage in mV at the current sense pin when the shunt current is zero. Enter the value obtained.

Regards

RupakC

Hello @RupakC,

Thank you for pointing out the different between Current feedback of the EVAL-M1-101TF and EVAL-M1-101T.

I will check them and test them out and will get back to you with results.

As for Q83 & Q85, I'm already using mentioned values but they are having little effect. I will check out R10 and R9 of  EVAL-M1-101TF and see what happens.

Thanks and Regards,

AsadBashir160

AsadBashir160
Level 3
Level 3

Hello @RupakC,

I have another question which is related to this same topic. 

After our last discussion, I made some changes. Now my compressor is running. However, this time the motor does not exceed the limit of 1.6A current. As we know that by increasing the RPM the consumption of current also increases. So, when my motor reaches 1.6A (2600 RPM) it shuts down instantly. But, if I keep it below that limit (i.e. 1700 RPM = 0.9 A) motor runs continuously without any hitch.

The limit of my compressor is 900 RPM to 7200 RPM. 

So, kindly guide me in this. Can you tell me what is the issue here. Is it a component which is the problem or some certain parameter ?

Anxiously waiting for your reply.

Thanks and Regards,

AsadBashir160

RupakC

Hello @AsadBashir160 

Please share the latest updated configuration file.. We will look into it and come back to you. 

Regards

RupakC
lock attach

Hello @RupakC,

Sure, here it is. 

Regards,

AsadBashir160

Hi  @RupakC,

It's been a while, I haven't heard back from you yet. I'm still stuck.

Kindly help.

Regards,

AsadBashir160

RupakC

Hello @AsadBashir160 

1. From the MCEWizard file, I can see that the inductance values have been entered when current through inductance is 3A and test is done at 100Hz. If you look into our motor parameter measurement tutorial at https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-How-to-Measure-Motor-Parameters-ApplicationPresentation-v01_0... , the test should be done at 1KHz at no load. Please do this experiment at your end and enter the correct values.
  2. Based on the values entered, the L/R ratio is 12.62. Please enter a value in Flux Estimator Time Constant (Q60) which is 4 to 5 times of 12.62. currently the value entered is 15msec.
  3. For Q85, I had earlier mentioned in my last post, that for the offset calculation, please measure the voltage in mV at the current sense pin when the shunt current is zero. Enter the obtained value in Q85. Based on value of this offset, Q84 has to be set.

Gint(Q84) X V_Off(Q85) = Vdd/2.

Please enter the correct parameters for Q84 and Q85.
  4. Please look into Q7, Motor Back EMF Constant. The value entered is 36 V(ln-rms)/KRPM. The motor datasheet mentions this parameter as 44.24 V (Line-Line rms)/KRPM, which when converted, will give a value of 25.54V(ln-neutral rms)/KRPM. Please update this value.
  5. I would suggest you to enable overmodulation in this case.
  6. Please provide us the following waveforms:
    1. Dc bus voltage on the MADK board
    2. Current vs Speed waveforms.

Best Regards

RupakC