MOTIX IDM701A SPI port

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
MirzaP
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked Welcome!

Hello

i am interested in the IDM701A product. I have a BLDC motor that has absolute encoder for positioning. The sensor of the absolute encoder uses SSi or BiSS protocol. I have read and i believe that SPI can be interfaced to SSi or BiSS. I need an additional SPI port to talk to the other MCU. 

Altogether i need 2 extra SPI ports on the digital side

I was wondering if pins 1-7 and 57-67 can be configured as SPI? 

Thank you 

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi @MirzaP 

The SPI communication available for the IMD701A is for internal communication between the XMC1404 and 6EDL7141. No SPI peripheral is available for any external communication.

In the datasheet of the device, in page 146, it is mentioned that GPIOs can be used for communication with other systems. Hence you may use the GPIOs for SPI communication with external systems. However, you need to implement the SPI communication in that case since there is no SPI peripheral to take care of external communications.

Pin 3 of the IMD701A is used for DVDD. DVVD is the microcontroller voltage supply. DVDD is generated from DVDD linear regulator in 6EDL7141 (pin 23 and 56) and must be connected to all DVDD pins. This voltage can be used to supply external components as well. Hence this pin cannot be used for other purposes.

Except PIN 3, the other pins that you mentioned, i.e. Pin 0- Pin2, and Pin 4-Pin 7, and Pin 57-Pin 64 can be used as GPIO. So you can use these pins for your SPI requirements.

I hope that answers your query. 

Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
1 Reply
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi @MirzaP 

The SPI communication available for the IMD701A is for internal communication between the XMC1404 and 6EDL7141. No SPI peripheral is available for any external communication.

In the datasheet of the device, in page 146, it is mentioned that GPIOs can be used for communication with other systems. Hence you may use the GPIOs for SPI communication with external systems. However, you need to implement the SPI communication in that case since there is no SPI peripheral to take care of external communications.

Pin 3 of the IMD701A is used for DVDD. DVVD is the microcontroller voltage supply. DVDD is generated from DVDD linear regulator in 6EDL7141 (pin 23 and 56) and must be connected to all DVDD pins. This voltage can be used to supply external components as well. Hence this pin cannot be used for other purposes.

Except PIN 3, the other pins that you mentioned, i.e. Pin 0- Pin2, and Pin 4-Pin 7, and Pin 57-Pin 64 can be used as GPIO. So you can use these pins for your SPI requirements.

I hope that answers your query. 

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes