Is it possible to use regenerative braking with the IMC102T controller ?

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
sudip_k
Level 2
Level 2
25 sign-ins 10 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hi, 

how do I use the regenerative braking with the IMC102T controller.  
The maximum speed of the motor is 1500rpm. With load attached it took about  2-3 sec for the rotor shaft to come to rest after a stop command is given.  How can I make the rotor shaft to come to rest immediately ?

At 1500 Rpm , the power drawn is  250W from the input supply. 

0 Likes
1 Solution
5 Replies
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @sudip_k,

Yes, Regenerative braking is possible and regeneration can be controlled by adjusting the parameter in MCE Wizard.

Ques 53: Regeneration Current Limit 

This allows to vary the regeneration current. Higher this value helps to decelerate the motor faster. 

Note: DC overvoltage may happen due to higher regeneration limit. Please  consider this for safe operation.

Please let us know if any further details are needed.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
sudip_k
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Krupashankar ,

Thanks for the reply. I tried the above method, it works well but the braking action doesn't seem to work if I send 0 rpm command while running. It only works when it is between 150 - 1500 rpm (which is my application speed range).

Motor rpm 1500 to 150 ---> braking works!

Motor rpm 1500 to 0---> no braking !

0 Likes
Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi @sudip_k 

Please follow the below query which gives a method to stop immediately

https://community.infineon.com/t5/Motor-Control-ICs/IMC301A-Motor-wants-emergency-break/td-p/381668

Best Regards

0 Likes
sudip_k
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Viswa,

I have tried it and it worked just fine. The rotor stopped immediately however I would like to know if it is possible to control the amount of current to slightly adjust the effectiveness of this braking (like RgenLim)?

Thanks

0 Likes
Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi @sudip_k 

This can be implemented as part of application,

The Zero vector breaking shall be introduced once the speed is below a certain RPM, possibly around 400RPM or so. As such there is no variable which can control this current spike.

Best Regards

0 Likes