Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted First like received 5 replies posted

Hi guys, I use the new iMOTION solution design, but before I've used the old MCE designer and wizard to program my motors and fans. Recently I want to move to the new application iMOTION. I config the wizard first, build the program, connect and programming my fan. Then I go to dashboard and verify if my parameters are correct. In this moment my problems begin: if I don't increase Vd and Vq the fan never moves, but even the application tell me that this two are variable that are not saved in my wizard, so how can I run my fan without entering the dashboard? Plus, in the old MCE designer when I finish to programming my board and detach my infineon, the board works on it's own. So, what's the metter with the new application? I'm missing something? I have to do something after the programmer?

Thanks in advice

0 Likes
1 Solution
SarkarSushru
10 likes received 100 sign-ins 25 solutions authored

Hi @tec1uncs ,

• Motor must be started via external analog input, Duty-Frequency input, UART (Designer tool/External MCU), or using a custom script.
  • It is understood that no script was used and UART is selected as the control input (as highlighted in the screenshot).

SarkarSushru_0-1713363305769.png

• In this case, the commands must be sent by either using the Start button in MCE-Designer or the UART commands sent from an external microcontroller to start the motor.

Please let us know how the command was sent to the MCE to start the motor.

Thanks,

Sushruti

View solution in original post

0 Likes
22 Replies
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

Please let us know the followings:

1.  Are you using speed control mode or voltage control mode? In both of these modes, target speed/reference voltage and start command are to be applied externally(via Dashboard, script, or analog input) to run the motor. Please specify how you are trying to control the motor.
  2. How were the commands sent in case of MCEDesigner? Were you using any script?
  3.  Which iMOTION Solution Designer version and the SD pack version you are using.

Thanks,
Sushruti

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sushruti,

1. We control the fan in speed control by UART1

2. No we never used the script in the old version, and we send comands through UART1

3. We use iMOTION_SD V5.03.07 and iMOTION solution design 1.3.0.202311280958

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

There have been few modifications in the APP ID/Register ID from the firmware version 1.3.x to the new firmware (5.x). UART commands need to be modified based on the new firmware, as old UART commands will not work.

Please refer to the below community link: https://community.infineon.com/t5/Motor-Control-ICs/About-MCE-Register-read/td-p/404699 , for finding the correct APP and register ID in iMOTION Solution Designer.  Make sure that the appropriate ID's  are used to access the corresponding registers via UART.

Please let us know if you have any further query.

Thanks,
Sushruti

0 Likes

Thanks Sushruti, now i check if it's allright in the firmware version.

But my main doubt remain: if i program my device, why can't run by itself like in the old one? it's seems to me that this new one it's only a tester, and when i have to test in the real machine never start unless the board it's connected with infineon and i push start on the screen.

Thank you

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,
To run the motor in speed control mode, target speed and start command are to be applied externally. As you had mentioned, for the old MCE version, commands were send through UART1. Similarly, for the new Firmware, Start command has to be sent via UART. Please refer to section 2.3.7.3 of Software Reference Manual.

If the start command is given externally via UART then motor can be started independently without iSD(Dashborad).

Please let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
Sushruti

0 Likes

Hi Sushruti,

That's exactly the problem: in both case i send the program through UART1, but in one case the motor start independently (old) and in the new one I can't start it unless I'm in the dashboard. That's why I can't understand the problem in this one.

Thanks in advice

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

Could you please share the UART commands which were sent for the older FW?

Thanks

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sushruti,

I'll show you with this screenshot the mask where in the old program and it runs automatically and the other screenshot where we set the UART in the new one.

Immagine 2024-04-11 152431.png

Immagine 2024-04-11 152459.png

Immagine 2024-04-11 152449.png

   

SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

Sorry for the delayed response.

The screenshots that you shared are of the configuration, where UART has been selected as the command input. Could you please share the external UART commands which were sent to the MCE to operate the motor in case of old firmware?

Additionally, please share the project files for both old and new firmware. This will help us to understand the issue better.

Thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sushruti,

In the old one we haven't  external UART commands, only UART port where we send the firmware and that's it.

Below I attach the file that you requested: B-LW40A-ZL . TWZ40-A22 is the old one, and Babbo it's the new one.

Thanks

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

• Motor must be started via external analog input, Duty-Frequency input, UART (Designer tool/External MCU), or using a custom script.
  • It is understood that no script was used and UART is selected as the control input (as highlighted in the screenshot).

SarkarSushru_0-1713363305769.png

• In this case, the commands must be sent by either using the Start button in MCE-Designer or the UART commands sent from an external microcontroller to start the motor.

Please let us know how the command was sent to the MCE to start the motor.

Thanks,

Sushruti

0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Hi Sushruti,

The command, as I said, is sent to the MCE to start the motor through UART externally and then the program is write on QFN-48 microchip.

I'll show you the screenshot of the pin configurator in the new Wizard, because we have 4 pin that we use in programming but I can select only 3, the missing one it's the AIN8, or 11th pin. I attach the screenshot where you can see the electrical overview.

Thanks

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi @tec1uncs ,

• Please let us know the external UART commands that were sent to MCE from the external microchip device.
  • The AIN[8] pin is used for phase U reference current trip level for over-current protection and is not available under User Pin Configuration. Instead, AIN[2] can be configured as an ADC pin. Please elaborate the purpose of using the 4 analog pins.

Thanks,
Sushruti

0 Likes

Hi Sushruti,

Ok maybe we don't understad each other, but I answered your question again and again and you do the same. I'm really sorry but I don't know how to put it right: the commands in the old one are send from the computer through UART with the infineon link in the microchip and it's done, there is no other thing in between. We have no script and we do everithing with MCE wizard and setting the paramenters and the firmware.

Try to explain me in a better way your question about the UART external commands and I try to reply you with the answers that you need to resole the case.

Thanks again for your patience.

0 Likes
SarkarSushru

Hi,
Sorry for the confusion. In your previous reply, "…program is write on QFN-48 microchip", was interpreted as an external microcontroller produced by Microchip company, and we assumed that the UART commands were sent to the MCE from this controller (Microchip).

To run the motor using UART (without an external microcontroller), the following are the steps:
1. Configure the parameters and build the project using iSD. Make sure that speed control mode is selected.
2. Program the iMOTION controller using onboard debugger or iMOTION Link.
3. Now, to start the motor, a 'Start' command must be sent to the MCE, along with the Target speed, using the Dashboard in this case.

From your previous replies, we assume that in case of the older firmware, after programming the iMOTION device, the Start button in the MCE-designer tool was used to start the motor. Similarly, in case of iSD tool, the Target speed has to set, and Start motor command has to be sent from the Dashboard.

Please let us know if our understanding is correct.

Thank you for your patience.

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Sushruti,

The microchip QFN-48 it's the IMC101, the iMOTION microchip, so it isn't an external microchip, it's the target one. So we send the commands to this microchip and it's work greatly when in the old one we click the start button and in the new one when we're in the dashboard menu. The dashboard works fine! When we want to start the motor and change the speed of our fan it works well. But we don't know why the motor outside the dashboard menu doesn't run on it's own.

I hope that this description will be more precisly for you.

Thank you and sorry for dragging this conversation too long

0 Likes
Krupashankar
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi @tec1uncs,

Thanks for your patience!

Can you please let us know if UART link Break Protection Fault is enabled under -> System Protection tab

Krupashankar_0-1713865427815.png

If yes, Please disable it and try.

Nevertheless to control the motor outside dashboard we recommend to use any of the following input VSP, Duty, User UART, etc.. as it ensures safety.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Krupashankar,

I've checked the break protection fault flag and it's already diable. So i don't know how to run this motor on it's own. I'm run out of idea because this UART commands are sending to this Infineon microchip but we're still here with only the dashboard commands and start button.

Thank you in advice

0 Likes
Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi

We suggest you to go through the Software Reference Manual

Section 2.1.13. it details on the methods a motor can be controlled using iMOTION controller.

Best Regards

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Viswa,

I've already checked this section in the manual, but it doesn't tell me nothing new about my problem. I don't know why my UART doesn't start, maybe it's becuase there's some fault if I try to start the motor without the dashboard.

Thanks

0 Likes
Viswa
10 likes received 50 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hi

The motor can be started with one of the methods mentioned in the document or by using the dash board.

Best Regards

0 Likes
tec1uncs
Level 2
Level 2

I know that, that's the problem because in the old version run by itself but in the new one no, only in the dashboard menu. That's the reason that I don't understand, even sharing both files in this thread.

0 Likes