EVAL-IMM101T-046TOBO1 Board

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
KK1
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 likes given First like given

Hi Sir, 

I had just bought an EVAL-IMM101T-046TOBO1 Brd for testing BLDC Motor. 

I set the Parameter in MCEWizard and program into EVAL brd by apply MCEDesigner. 

Once program successfully, I press the button of "Configure Motor" and press the button of "Start Motor" as below :  

KK1_1-1676441847490.png

But once I press the "Start Button" , suddenly the Board burn immediately.

What is causing the board burned ? The Parameter shouldn't cause the board burn for the testing.

Pls advise.  

EVAL-IMM101T User Manual (infineon.com)

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @KK1,

The burning of the board can be due to many reasons and few of which are listed below:

• Overcurrent ( Lack of overcurrent - Gatekill protection)
  • Overheating ( Improper design of heat sink for the given load)
  • Overvoltage( Providing higher DC input voltage than rated)
  • Overload ( operating the device higher than rated power)

Can you please share the MCE wizard file ( .mc2) as zip, motor datasheet and details on setup.

This will help us to understand the issue better.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

The burning of the board can be due to many reasons and few of which are listed below:

• Overcurrent ( Lack of overcurrent - Gatekill protection)
  • Overheating ( Improper design of heat sink for the given load)
  • Overvoltage( Providing higher DC input voltage than rated)
  • Overload ( operating the device higher than rated power)

Can you please share the MCE wizard file ( .mc2) as zip, motor datasheet and details on setup.

This will help us to understand the issue better.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.

Dear Mr. Krupashankar,

Thanks for feedback.

Understand of over current & voltage will causing burn.

But the setting only in programming, and I am following according to the EVAL-IMM101T User Manual.

AC Line Input :  240V (Page 11) & Configuration on page 32, Sensorless Leg Shunt.

KK1_0-1676457953735.jpeg

Attached the files when I do first test.

But haven’t start to test the board, IC Motor driver burned by just press the "Start Motor" button.

Pls help to advise where is going wrong.

Thanks & Regards.

0 Likes
lock attach
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

The  configuration file you have shared is different for  the evaluation board(EVAL-IMM101T-046) used.

• Modify the configuration file( EVAL-IMM101T-046.mc2) shared, based on the motor parameter, Current sense, and application. Use this parameter file to program the iMOTION device. 
  • Please ensure to program exact firmware file(IMM101T-046M_A_V1.03.03) of EVAL-IMM101T-046, Same is attached in the zip file.
  • We would recommend to reduce the Ques 11: open loop ramp rate and Ques 14: low speed current limit. Based on the application and startup performance these values can be modified.
  • Please make sure the current sense is configured correctly.  If resistor are modified for leg shunt current sense please select the same in options page. As we could see in the configuration still remains as single shunt in the mc2 file

Please let us know if any further information is needed.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

Dear Mr. Krupashankar,

Thanks for your reply.

From information given,  does it mean, if setting wrong parameter, the MADK Board will burn because of wrong setting ? Since it is under development, the parameter figure actually is not fix yet.

How could I prevent the board burn before test motor and press the Start Motor Button ?

Btw,  the what is the Blue LED. LED102, represent for ? There is no info in user manual. 

Pls advise. Thanks.

E-val.gif

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

From information given,  does it mean, if setting wrong parameter, the MADK Board will burn because of wrong setting ? Since it is under development, the parameter figure actually is not fix yet.

Yes, the Wrong parameters will affect current sensing and other protection of the board. This will lead to damage to the board. Parameters such as System DC bus, Motor parameters, Fault Conditions, PWM Information, Current Feedback, and Gatekill setup are very essential for protection and safe operation these parameters have to be entered correctly before starting any test of the motor.

How could I prevent the board burn before test motor and press the Start Motor Button ?

Please follow the steps in the above post and make sure all the protection features are enabled.

Btw,  the what is the Blue LED. LED102, represent? There is no info in user manual. 

Blue LED 102 is connected to the onboard debugger. This LED indicates the communication status of the debugger with iMOTION. For more connection details refer to section 4 Schematics and Layout  of EVAL-IMM101T User Manual

Please let us know if any further details are required.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

lock attach

Hi Krupashankar,

Thanks for your reply. 

I had edited the MCE wizard file to Leg Shunt Setting

Could you advise are the settings will damage Leg Shunt configuration of Eval-Board ? 

The System Setting mostly follow from default given info. 

Only Motor Setting follow back as previous. And reduce Ques 11 : open loop ramp rate & Ques: 14 : low speed current limit.

Attached the LGS_1_23Feb2023.zip file . Pls advise.

Thanks & Regards.

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

1. Please enable thermal protection for IMM101T-046 using a script for more details please refer to section 6 Thermal Protection of EVAL-IMM101T User Manual.
  2. Please ensure that the motor parameters are configured correctly.
  3. We found the .mc2 file you have shared is configured for  Eval-IMM101T-015.Please configure current sensing parameters according to  EVAL-IMM101T-046TOBO1   ( example : Ques 83: Motor 1 current input scaling to 203.8 mV/A)
  4. Please make sure, resistors are modified for leg shunt current sense.
  5. Reduce  Ques 9 Minimum Running Speed - 10000RPM, Ques 10: Speed Ramp Rate 20000 RPM/sec, Ques 11: open-loop ramp rate: 2000, Ques 14:low-speed current limit to 50%.  This value can be increased after initial testing depending  on application.
  6. Modify ques 60: Flux estimator time constant to 3 msec.
  7. Please ensure to program the exact firmware file(IMM101T-046M_A_V1.03.03) of EVAL-IMM101T-046.

Please let us know if any further details are required

Thanks,

Krupashankar

lock attach

Hi Krupashankar,

Good day to you.

I had replaced the IC IMM101T-046 on the Eval Brd .

Pls help to verify the setting as attached, so that the Motor IC won't burn again.

Waiting for your good news. Thank you so much. 

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

• Based on the rated current( 0.46A) of the motor modify Ques 93: Overcurrent Trip Level for Internal Gatekill comparator to 120% of rated current to 0.55A.
  • If there is no load connected to the motor reduce Ques 14:low-speed current limit to 30% If there is any load connected it can be increased to 50%
  • For Initial startup both parking and open loop method is selected. If there is no load connected at the start parking can be enabled and if there is any minimal load open loop starting method can be enabled. Please select any one of the starting methods. 

Can you please share the motor datasheet and end application this will help us to suggest the best starting method and current limitation.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

lock attach

Hi Krupashankar,

Good day to you. Thank you very much for your feedback. 

• Actually, the datasheet has no mention about rated current. For mu understanding, by calculation Rated Normal: 49W/310VDC = 0.158A x 3 phase = 0.47A, was set in Leg Shunt Configuration 0.46A. I will change Ques 93: Overcurrent Trip Level for Internal Gatekill comparator to 120% of rated current to 0.55A.
  • For the application, there will be no load connect to motor. For Ques 14: low-speed current limit, I will set 50%.
  • Since there is no load connected, I will set enabled at the start parking, and disable Open Loop Speed Ramp. Could advise how many seconds supposed to set at Parking Time, 1 sec as default? 

The Attached the Motor Datasheet for reference. End application is to turn on BLDC Motor for hair dryer product. TQ. 

KK1_0-1677558036300.png

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @KK1,

• Based on the motor datasheet Please modify Ques 6: Motor Ld Inductance to 1.9mH
  • For the Hair Dryer application open-loop startup can be used Please set it to 2000 RPM/Sec. This value can be increased after initial testing.

Can you please let us know the test results. 

Thanks,

Krupashankar