DC Shield TLE9562-3QX Usage with uIO Stick

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
User21977
Level 3
Level 3
10 replies posted 5 replies posted 5 sign-ins

I'm trying to get this board to drive a small motor so we can evaluate the TLE9560-3QX part (I realise the board contains the TLE9562 part).

I have run the TLE9560/1/2 gate driver settings tool to enter the FET parameters and calculate the required information for the DC shield, I saved the .icwp file.   I could not get the TLE9562 SHIELD tool to read in the saved .icwp file that the gate driver settings tool produced (is there a way to do that?) so I then entered the various parameters manually, at least those I could enter, and then again saved the file.  I have also set the various controls such as charge pump, PWM settings, etc., to enable the device to work.  I have attached the resulting .icwp file (in a zip) for analysis if required.

My setup is a single small brushed DC motor connected to PHASE 1/2 (SH1 & 2), and I have a 20kHz 5V square wave from a signal generator connected to pin D3 of the Arduino connector to drive PWM1.  I have 12V connected to VBAT.

I cannot get any activity out of the motor, so I'm wondering about the following questions:

- Do I have all of the required configuration settings necessary to make the device and gate driver work?

- When I load the saved .icwp file into the TLE9562 SHIELD tool does it automatically write the configuration into the device SPI registers or am I missing a step to programme the device?  This isn't clear in the user guide.

- Do you have an example .icwp (or similar) file that I could use to drive a motor using this board?  I could not find the example file mentioned in the user guide (TLE9562_ConfigWizard_Presettings_2020_06_25_1.icwp).

This is quite urgent - can anyone please help?

Best regards

0 Likes
1 Solution

I've now got the motor running - I had not spotted that there was an overvoltage error on one of the HBs ands when I cleared that the motor started working - thanks for your help getting this going

View solution in original post

0 Likes
30 Replies
lock attach
hcr2
Employee
Employee
10 sign-ins 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Hello, here is the pre-setting file. It contains the settings optimized for the MOSFETs which are on the board.

Do you have a uIO stick or is the shield only connected to the Arduino Uno ?

I ask you that because loading the settings from the icwp file into the device is only possible with the uIO stick.

If you do not have a uIO stick, then you must send the SPI frames with the Arduino Uno to configure the device accordingly. 

0 Likes
lock attach
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks, I tried to load the file but it gives me a missing .xml file message as in the attached screenshot which also shows you what .xml files I do have.  Would it be OK to use the ICW_TLE9560_1_2_CT.xml file or do you need to send me the correct .xml file?

thanks

0 Likes

Update: I copied and renamed the TLE9562.xml file and the .icwp file then loaded.

There is still no motor drive but a few more of the bridge status LEDs are now lit that were not lit before:

HB3VOUT & HB4VOUT
HS2DSOV

Does this give any clues as to what's happening?

thanks

0 Likes

Sorry - I missed some of the other parts of your reply: I'm only using the uIO stick not an Arduino

0 Likes
lock attach
hcr2
Employee
Employee

You must open first this tool : TLE9562_Shield

then go to File -> Load -> select the .icwp file

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

Yes - doing all that, I did outline the steps that I'm taking in my original post.

To repeat:
- DC shield is powered by 12V PSU, 5V 20kHz square wave from a sig gen into PWM1
- DC shield connected to PC using uIO stick
- Small DC brushed motor connected to PHASE1/2 (SH1/2) outputs
- In TLE9652 Shield app, loading .icwp file with copied/renamed TLE9562.xml file

Nothing happens with the motor, GEN status LEDs HB1/2/3/4VOUT LEDs lit

If I can send you anything else that might help - screenshots, files, etc. please let me know.

thanks

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

Can you tell me at which point exactly the .xml file is missing ?  Is it when you click on the icon for the TLE9562 shield ?

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

When I tried to load the .icwp file it said that the .xml file was missing, there is screenshot attachment above (Screenshot 2022-02-23 122856.png) that shows the message with the missing filename.

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

But before doing it, can you check that the TLE9562 is in software development mode ? 

0. Disconnect the 12V supply

1. Set the jumper to make sure that the device is in software development mode (see screenshot)

2. Set the jumper to connect the LED to VCC1 (5V regulator) (see screenshot)

3. Connect the uIO Stick to the

4. Connect the 12V supply --> A green LED on the shield should be activated 

5. Start the GUI TLE9562 Shield

6. Load the presetting file

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

You should not rename the .icwp file. There must be an issue at this stage.

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

OK - added jumpers to put into s/w dev mode and connect the LED to 5V - board LED is now green and SBC SW DEV, WD FAIL1/2 and CRC FAIL 'LEDs' are now lit on the SBC status page.

Loading the presetting file unfortunately still does nothing for the motor, there are no additional H-bridge status LEDs lit.

With regard to the file renaming, it's not the .icwp file I'm renaming - as I said above the .icwp file you sent me needed an .xml file that I did not have so I copied and renamed the file TLE9562.xml.

0 Likes

Hi - I'm not sure the device is being programmed correctly; looking at either side of C12 on the DC shield with a scope should show some changes when I enable or disable the charge pump but nothing changes, makes me think that the GUI changes or settings aren't making it to the device.

Is there anything else I can look at to find out if the device is actually being programmed correctly?

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

That is much better now. Without the jumper to enable the software development mode, the TLE9562 will go in fail safe mode, disabling all outputs.

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

There's no update here but I've got an email with the question: 

Can you tell me at which point exactly the .xml file is missing ?  Is it when you click on the icon for the TLE9562 shield ?

When I tried to load the .icwp file it said that the .xml file was missing, there is screenshot attachment above that shows the message with the missing filename.

0 Likes

Is anyone able to help with this problem?

To summarise:
- the DC shield board is connected by the uIO stick to PC, 12V VBAT from PSU, 20kHz 5V square wave for PWM1 input
- .icwp file (TLE9562_ConfigWizard_Presettings_2020_06_25_1.icwp) provided and loaded in TLE9562 Shield app, but complained that it was missing an .xml file on .icwp load
- TLE9562.xml file copied and renamed to provide the missing .xml file (ICW_TLE9562_2020_06_25_1.xml)
- jumpers fitted on DC Shield board for SW DEV mode and 5V LED
- RO indicator slowly flashing red on TLE9562 Shield app
- From the TLE9562 Shield app I am unable to either control HSS outputs driving LEDs on the DC shield, or switch on the bridge driver charge pump, so I think the device is still not responding to programming from the TLE9562 Shield app

thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
hcr2
Employee
Employee

Here is the step-by-step description.

Normally, at no point an xml file is requested.

Can you tell me exactly at which point the GUI requests a .xml file, so that I can identify the problem? 

By the way, please do not connect the Arduino or a signal generator AND the uIO stick to the shield at the same time. There might be conflicts on the SPI bus and on the PWM input pins.

The uIO stick generates itself a 20 kHz PWM. The duty cycle is configurable wit the GUI.

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

I think there is some confusion here on your part about the file renaming thing but I don't know how much clearer I can make it.

I am NOT renaming the .icwp file to a .xml file.  It is when I try to load the .icwp file in the TLE9562 Shield app that you sent me that it complains that there is a missing .xml file, this is because in the .icwp file there is an entry at the top:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<icwpxml version="2.2.2">
<checksum>5e9557b2c40dd1d4bd54821f1cfdb53600bbf406616ab122ebe4b0dddc322f17</checksum>
<XmlFile>ICW_TLE9562_2020_06_25_1.xml</XmlFile>
<XmlVersion>V0.0.1</XmlVersion>

where the .icwp file is looking for the .xml file: ICW_TLE9562_2020_06_25_1.xml.

I do not have this .xml file here as it was not part of the tool install, so I renamed the file: TLE9562.xml to the required filename and the .icwp file then loaded.  However, I don't know if this is the correct file - do you have the file: ICW_TLE9562_2020_06_25_1.xml that you could send?

With regards to the set of slides, I am doing almost everything in it as shown, I tried the steps on slide 7 (setting HB1 mode to LS on, HB2 mode to HS on) and they make no difference.

I can see now that the uIO stick generates the external PWM1 signal so I'll disconnect the signal generator - the schematic copy in the DC Shield pdf is very poor and it is hard to identify the signal names.

I have never said that I am connecting the uIO stick and an Arduino to the board at the same time - I only have the uIO stick connected.

Finally, I have tried enabling HSS3 and HSS4 statically on but the two LEDs on the board do not light, and the gate driver charge pump voltage is not affected by the charge pump enable control, I do not think that the device on the board is actually being programmed or responding to the SPI programming from the uIO stick.

thanks

0 Likes
lock attach
hcr2
Employee
Employee

When the xml file is requested, have you tried to ignore it and just select the .icwp file ? 

Can you send the screenshot tof the main GUI view.

If the communication between the GUI and the TLE9562 is correct, you should be able to turn-on the onboard LEDs with the integrated HS3 and HS4.

0 Likes
lock attach
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

I ignored the .xml file error and I think the .icwp file loaded but it made no difference to the lack of operation.  Screenshots attached, HSS3/4 LEDs do not turn on.

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

The device reports failures, which must be cleared first, otherwise all outputs are disabled.

hcr2_0-1645696456938.png

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

understood - unfortunately neither the CLEAR or CLEAR SBC STATUS buttons clear any of the indicators in that section - is there any other method to clear them or any causes I might look at?

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

The CRC fail indicates that the CRC is active, since the firmware of the uIO stick does not support CRC calculation, that would explain why the device does not accept any SPI command.

Please make sure that the CRC jumper is NOT set . It is next to the jumper for the software development mode.

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

I confirm the failures that you have when the CRC jumper is set

hcr2_1-1645697238799.png

Therefore make sure that you set only the jumpers for the software development mode and for the LED at VCC1, but do not set the jumper for CRC.

lock attach
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

Possibly some success!

The problem was that I still had some wires attached to the PWM1 external signal and they must have been injecting some pickup or something onto the CRC signal, I've removed them and the CRC fail light has gone out.

I can not control the HSS3/4 LEDs and when I look at the motor signals I can see PWM signals that are controlled by the PWM1 duty.  The only problem now is that the motor still doesn't move because the PWM signals on both sides of the motor are identical so no current is flowing through it.

Any thoughts on this?  I've attached the three bridge screenshots plus a scope trace showing the PWM input (blue) and the two motor outputs (red, green).

0 Likes

sorry - above that should have said I can now control the HSS3/4 LEDs

0 Likes

I've now got the motor running - I had not spotted that there was an overvoltage error on one of the HBs ands when I cleared that the motor started working - thanks for your help getting this going

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

I am glad that you can control the motor now. The drain-source overvoltage threshold of the HB is by default set to 200 mV. If you have some current spike from the motor, that would explain why the DS overvoltage flag is set. You might want to increase this threshold a bit.

0 Likes
hcr2
Employee
Employee

At the power up of the TLE9562,  the device checks the signal at the PWM1 pin, in order to activate or to deactivate  the CRC. The wire that you had on the PWM1 pin probably pulled down the pin, enabling the CRC.

hcr2_0-1645702351999.png

As  mentioned previously, then the device accepts only SPI frame with CRC calculation, which is not supported by the firmware of the uIO stick.

0 Likes
User21977
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks - got it all now.

If I might make a suggestion - I think that the DC Shield user manual benefit do with a few updates:
- Add some text about the board jumpers, e.g. if using the uIO stick the test and LED jumpers need to be added or it won't work.
- Put some better schematics into the pdf as the copies are quite hard to read and see what is connected to what.

But it's up to you, thanks again for your help.

hcr2
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the suggestions. They definitively make sense.

0 Likes