Current Control Mode iMotion

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Vijay_PAWAR095
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

I am using IMC101 Device for Motor Control in Current Control Mode. I am able to start the motor in current control mode but not able to change the speed and ramp rate of Motor. I wanted to know How we can control the ramp rate, Target Speed in current control Mode as i tried by changing value of Target speed register but that didnt help.

Regards,

Vijay

0 Likes
1 Solution
Krupashankar
500 replies posted 50 likes received 25 likes received

Hi @Vijay_PAWAR095,

As Current mode is used to start the Motor and later switched to speed mode, can it be reversed like first we run in Speed mode and later we shift to Current Mode (As current Mode is constant torque Mode) ?

Yes, We can switch the control mode from speed loop to current control method by changing CtrlModeSelect register to 1.

For more details, Please refer to section 3.2.1.4 CtrlModeSelect in iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 

Secondly, as you mentioned speed loop will be disabled in current mode, then what is the speed input in current Mode ? In my case my rated current was 0.9A and Max speed was 2730RPM but when i started motor in current mode it was running at 3900RPM ? I wanted to understand how it was 3900RPM.

There will be no speed reference in current loop, the speed of the motor depends on the current reference(IqRef_Ext) and load in the current control method. Can you please share the motor datasheet and MCE Wizard configuration file. 

As i mentioned earlier can we shift from Speed Mode to Current Mode, In speed Mode my Max speed requirement is 2700RPM and in Current Mode my requirement is 1800RPM.

Current control mode offer constant torque operation, Constant speed operation is not possible in current control mode.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Krupashankar

Hi @Vijay_PAWAR095,

Using the current control method current reference can be changed by varying IqRef_Ext. The speed loop will be disabled and the speed cannot be controlled by changing the target speed register.

For more details please refer to application note: Driving high inertia loads with iMOTION™

Please let us know if any further details are needed

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes
Vijay_PAWAR095
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have gone through the document, below are my queries.

As Current mode is used to start the Motor and later switched to speed mode, can it be reversed like first we run in Speed mode and later we shift to Current Mode (As current Mode is constant torque Mode) ?

Secondly, as you mentioned speed loop will be disabled in current mode, then what is the speed input in current Mode ? In my case my rated current was 0.9A and Max speed was 2730RPM but when i started motor in current mode it was running at 3900RPM ? I wanted to understand how it was 3900RPM.

As i mentioned earlier can we shift from Speed Mode to Current Mode, In speed Mode my Max speed requirement is 2700RPM and in Current Mode my requirement is 1800RPM.

Regards,

Vijay Pawar

0 Likes
Krupashankar

Hi @Vijay_PAWAR095,

Yes, We can switch the control mode from speed loop to current control method by changing CtrlModeSelect register to 1.

For more details, Please refer to section 3.2.1.4 CtrlModeSelect in iMOTION – MCE – Software Reference Manual v1.3 

There will be no speed reference in current loop, the speed of the motor depends on the current reference(IqRef_Ext) and load in the current control method. Can you please share the motor datasheet and MCE Wizard configuration file. 

Current control mode offer constant torque operation, Constant speed operation is not possible in current control mode.

Thanks,

Krupashankar

0 Likes