Back EMF calculation for BLDC motor

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hey!

I need to calculate the back EMF for my BLDC motor to input to the MCE wizard. I have calculated the value based on your document found here: https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-How-to-Measure-Motor-Parameters-ApplicationPresentation-v01_0...

The value I got was 3.71. Should I enter this value in the wizard?

I have attached the waveform also. Please verify if this is correct.

PS: I am working on IMC302AF064XUMA1 microcontroller.

back_emf_1.jpg

0 Likes
1 Solution
psb
250 sign-ins 25 solutions authored 100 replies posted

Hello @cw2611 ,

From rough calculations, it seems that the back emf constant is around 2.065 V (ln-rms)/krpm.   
The speed in the beginning is seen to be uniform and that portion can be considered for calculations. 
Kindly calculate in the 2 below cases and verify. 
1. Calculate the time t1 (s) between the first negative peak and the subsequent positive peak. The frequency will be (0.5/t1) Hz. Calculate the Vpp between these two peaks, and apply them in the formula. 
2. The same procedure as above, by considering the first two negative peaks, and the frequency will be 1/t2, t2 time between the two peaks. 

Verify and confirm if all the values are almost equal. 

Best Regards,
Sai

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
psb

Hello @cw2611 , 

The waveform seen doesn't ensure an accurate and also a precise measurement. Request you to follow the same procedure with a complete rotation of the motor giving three electrical cycles, trying to maintain it at a uniform speed and measure the value of the back emf constant cycle by cycle and show the result here. 

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

scope_25.jpg

How about this waveform? This is what we are getting with one mechanical rotation by hand.

0 Likes
psb

Hello @cw2611 ,

From rough calculations, it seems that the back emf constant is around 2.065 V (ln-rms)/krpm.   
The speed in the beginning is seen to be uniform and that portion can be considered for calculations. 
Kindly calculate in the 2 below cases and verify. 
1. Calculate the time t1 (s) between the first negative peak and the subsequent positive peak. The frequency will be (0.5/t1) Hz. Calculate the Vpp between these two peaks, and apply them in the formula. 
2. The same procedure as above, by considering the first two negative peaks, and the frequency will be 1/t2, t2 time between the two peaks. 

Verify and confirm if all the values are almost equal. 

Best Regards,
Sai
0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

As per our calculations, the constant seems to be 4.007 (ln-rms)/krpm.   

0 Likes