BLDC

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
GeorgeK
Level 1
Level 1
First reply posted First question asked Welcome!

Hello to the community,

I would like to build a 3-phase high speed sensorless permanent magnet motor (BLDC). The parameters will most likely be, 6 slot, 2 pole design and a star connection with around 20 kW of power. I am looking for a 600 V and 35 A to operate the machine (maybe less kW if the design is not feasible). The speed will be around 200 krpm (maximum) and 160 krpm (operating).

Since i lack the knowledge in this field i could use all the help i can get. Since some of the ICs i have looked at require High side and Low side drivers, i was thinking of buying an off-the-shelf ECU and soldering the FET activation pins to HIN-LIN pins of the controller (example: 6EDL04) and after that, to run the voltage back (Back EMF) to the ECU (in the correct pins) with a voltage divider (to provide the ECU with its operating voltage and not 600V) so the ECU knows when to switch.

The questions i have are:

1. Are there any suggestions for ICs (Gate drivers) regarding my case?

2. Are there any ICs to control the HIN-LIN logic?

3. Does infineon make or have some suggestions for IGBTs or FETs?

4. Is there a complete package available that can do all the above (if not, its OK)?

5. If my logic is completely false, can someone please direct me to the correct path?

If FOC or something that can make the motor operate quietly is implementable in an infineon package i would love to know about it.

If any additional information is necessary, please let me know!

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

George

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi @GeorgeK 

Thank you for the details. 

From your replies, I believe your prototype is in its early stage of development. You have mentioned that the motor input voltage is 600V, 35 A. I do not know what the input stage for your prototype will be. However, if it may be possible to have a power board with AC input voltage, you may have a look at our reference board REF-22K-GPD-INV-EASY3B. 

You may find the product at https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/ref-22k-gpd-inv-easy3b/#!designsupport

Please go through the user manual in detail at https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-UG2020_28_REF-22K-GPD-INV-Easy3b-UserManual-v01_00-EN.pdf?fil... 

The above product is a complete package and may be suitable for you. Let us know if you find it useful for your application. 

Best Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
RupakC

Hello @GeorgeK 

1. We at Infineon have multiple product lines for gate driver ICs to drive BLDC motors. The different product lines are targeted for different applications. Knowing your exact application will help us to suggest you the right part. 

2. We have motor control ICs that can use FOC algorithms to achieve smooth operation of BLDC motors. The FOC algorithms are available for the specific controller that you want to use. 

3. Infineon has a wide range of power semiconductor switches and we can guide you to select the best product for use in your application. 

4. We have several ready reference designs/EVAL boards for specific applications for our customers who can use them as a starting point for their prototypes. Later, they may shift to their custom boards for production ready designs. Looking at your speed requirement, it will be better for us to know about your application and then we can comment on whether we can have a complete package for your application. 

You may let me know about your application in private message in case the information is not meant to be posted on public domain. 

Best Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
GeorgeK
Level 1
Level 1

Hello @RupakC,

Thank you for your swift response!

The application will be similar to an e-turbo. Having a Motor that will spool up the compressor at low rpm (revolutions) and after a certain threshold, the system will have an excess of energy so the motor will start to generate power. For a better analogy, i would like to inform you in private.

What parameters would you like for me to make clear so you or your team can offer me some solutions and or product lines?

Looking forward for you answer, kind regards

George.

0 Likes
RupakC

Hi @GeorgeK 

Thank you for the details. 

From your replies, I believe your prototype is in its early stage of development. You have mentioned that the motor input voltage is 600V, 35 A. I do not know what the input stage for your prototype will be. However, if it may be possible to have a power board with AC input voltage, you may have a look at our reference board REF-22K-GPD-INV-EASY3B. 

You may find the product at https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/ref-22k-gpd-inv-easy3b/#!designsupport

Please go through the user manual in detail at https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-UG2020_28_REF-22K-GPD-INV-Easy3b-UserManual-v01_00-EN.pdf?fil... 

The above product is a complete package and may be suitable for you. Let us know if you find it useful for your application. 

Best Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
GeorgeK
Level 1
Level 1

@RupakC,

yes, you are correct, the motor is still in development and the input voltage-amps might change in the future. I do appreciate all the help you have given me.

If there is any change in the parameters and i need some help, is there a way to contact you in private?

Again, thank you for the help, kind regards,

George

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @GeorgeK 

Thank you for your appreciation. You can contact me through private message anytime. 

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes