BLDC CONTROLLER USING IMC302AF064XUMA1

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3
25 sign-ins 25 replies posted 10 questions asked

Hey!

I am designing a BLDC motor controller to drive a 48V motor using FOC logic. I have drawn the schematic for the project and require some validation on the same. Can you verify if the connections are correct?

PIN 29 (PWMUL) ---> Phase A low-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 30 (PWMUH) ---> Phase A high-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 31 (PWMVL) ---> Phase B low-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 32 (PWMVH) ---> Phase B high-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 33 (PWMWL) ---> Phase C low-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 34 (PWMWH) ---> Phase C high-side driver control input //gate driver
PIN 14 (VDC) ---> Stepped down voltage from BUS voltage
PIN 18 (ISS/IU) <--- Current sense amplifier output A //gate driver
PIN 15 (IV/AHALL2-) <--- Current sense amplifier output B //gate driver
PIN 11 (IW/AHALL1-/AIN2) <--- Current sense amplifier output C //gate driver
PIN 17 (REFU/AIN8) ---> UNUSED
PIN 16 (REFV/AHALL2+/AIN7) <--- UNUSED
PIN 10 (REFW/AHALL1+/AIN1) <--- UNUSED
PIN 26 (HALL1/GPIO9) <--- Hall effect input A //from motor
PIN 27 (HALL2/GPIO10) <--- Hall effect input B //from motor
PIN 28 (HALL3/GPIO11) <--- Hall effect input C //from motor
PIN 37 ---> UNUSED
PIN 38 ---> UNUSED
PIN 40 (GPIO15) ---> Reverse toggle switch
PIN 44 ---> UNUSED
PIN 43 ---> UNUSED
PIN 12 <--- UNUSED
PIN 21 <--- UNUSED
PIN 22 <--- UNUSED
PIN 20 <--- UNUSED
PIN 19 <--- UNUSED
PIN 45 (RXD0) <--- iMotion Link RXD
PIN 46 (TXD0) ---> iMotion Link TXD
PIN 51 (P0.8) ---> SPI - SDI //gate driver SPI
PIN 52 (P0.9) ---> SPI - SDO //gate driver SPI
PIN 53 (P0.10) ---> SPI - SCLK //gate driver SPI
PIN 54 (P0.11) ---> SPI - CS //gate driver SPI
PIN 55 (P0.12) ---> Gate driver enable signal //gate driver
PIN 56 (P0.13) <--- Fault signal //from gate driver
PIN 57 (P0.14/SWDIO) ---> iMotion Link SWDIO
PIN 58 (P0.15/SWDCLK) <--- iMotion Link SWDCLK
PIN 48 ---> UNUSED
PIN 47 ---> UNUSED
PIN 3 (P2.0) <--- UART RXD
PIN 4 (P2.1) ---> UART TXD
PIN 5 (P2.2) <--- Potentiometer input for deceleration ramp control
PIN 6 (P2.6) <--- Potentiometer input for acceleration ramp control
PIN 7 (P2.8) <--- Potentiometer input dor speed control
PIN 8 (P2.10) <--- CAN RXD
PIN 9 (P2.11) ---> CAN TXD
PIN 59 (P4.0) <--- Phase A voltage sense //from H-bridge
PIN 60 (P4.1) <--- Phase B voltage sense //from H-bridge
PIN 61 (P4.2) <--- Phase C voltage sense //from H-bridge
PIN 62 (P4.3) <--- Encoder A input //from motor
PIN 63 (P4.4) <--- Encoder B input //from motor
PIN 64 (P4.5) <--- Encoder C input //from motor
PIN 1 (P4.6) ---> UNUSED
PIN 2 (P4.7) ---> UNUSED
PIN 41 (LED) ---> LED
PIN 13 (NTC/AIN4) ---> 10K NTC Thermistor
PIN 14 (PGOUT) ---> Speed output //will be monitored through CRO

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hi @cw2611

1. Pin 10, Pin 16 and Pin 17 can be used as Analog Input.

2. A sample application for IMC 302A is provided in the datasheet . You may find it in Page 15-16 of the following document:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IMC300_series-DataSheet-v01_02-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462700c0ae6...

whatever you said about the gate driver amplifying the analog signals and sending it to Pin 18, Pin 15 and Pin 11 have to be externally designed for. The  IMC302A does not internally have such a configuration. However, you can design your external board to achieve such an application if required. In that case, you need to strictly comply with the voltage and current ratings of the pins of the IMC302A board.

3. For normal applications, the gate kill input may take input from an external gate driver to know when the PFC and the motor overcurrent needs to trip .  You can supply the gate kill input from another host controller but in that case all voltage and current level compliance for the IMC302A board need to be met. 

4. The IMC302A has a quadrature decoder control which can be used in a very flexible way when connected with a CCU4 unit. The connection profile depends on the amount of functions that the user wants to perform in parallel: position control, revolution control and velocity measurement.

For more details on the quadrature decoder mode, please refer to the following document :
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IMC300A-iMOTION_Controller_with_additional_microcontroller-Us...

Pin 4.1, Pin 4.2 and Pin 4.3 can be configured as POSIF1 pins. This information is also available in the document link provided above. 

I hope the above discussion will help to resolve your doubts. 

Thanks and Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RupakC

Hello @cw2611 

Thank you for posting on Infineon community
I have a few points regarding your schematics:
1. Please refer to the datasheet  file:///C:/Users/chakrabortyr/Desktop/documents/infineon%20work%20documents/products/Imotion/Infineo...

and the user manual :

file:///C:/Users/chakrabortyr/Desktop/documents/infineon%20work%20documents/products/Imotion/Infineo...

2. P0.8 is a clock input/ output. So  SPI - SDI //gate driver SPI should not be connected to this pin.
3. P0.10 is control I/O. should not be used for SCLK
4. P4.0, P4.1, P4.2, P4.3, P4.4, P4.5 all are digital I/Os. Analog inputs cannot be connected to these pins. 
5. Pin 14- Is already rightly connected to VDC. It cannot be connected to speed output again. 
Please check these connections and refer to the two documents mentioned above. If further queries persist, I will be happy to help you.

Regards

RupakC
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks @RupakC !

I have few more questions:

1. Can I use P0.10 and P0.11 pins to control transistors?

2. Regarding PIN 14, it was a typo. I have connected PIN 42 to speed output.

3. From my understanding P2.6, P2.8, P2.10, P2.11, P2.0, P2.1, P2.2 are analog inputs. Am I correct?

4. Are the CAN connections correct? I think P0.13, P0.12 are for CAN. Am I correct?

0 Likes
RupakC

Hii @cw2611 

1. Yes you can use P0.10 and P0.11 to control transistors

2. PIN 42 is pulse output and its frequency is proportional to motor revolution. So yes you can use it for speed output.

3. Yes. P2.6, P2.8, P2.10, P2.11, P2.0, P2.1 and P2.2 are analog inputs. 

4. P2.10 and P2.11 can be used for CAN1 also, for RXDE and TXD  respectively. So the connections are okay. 

I hope that clarifies your doubt. 

Thanks and Regards

RupakC
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

Thanks @RupakC !

1. Can I use PIN 17 (REFU/AIN8), PIN 16 (REFV/AHALL2+/AIN7), PIN 10 (REFW/AHALL1+/AIN1) as analog inputs?

2. The current sense inputs from each leg of the H-bridge are connected to the gate driver that amplifies the signals and this amplified signals are connected to PIN 18 (IU), PIN 15 (IV) and PIN 11 (IW). Is this correct?

3. What should I connect to Gate Kill input pin. Can I connect an external host controller to it?

4. I have connected Encoder inputs (A, B,C) to pins P4.0, P4.1, P4.2. The output from the encoder will be in the form of PWM pulses. Will these pins connect to capture compare unit in the microcontroller?

0 Likes
cw2611
Level 3
Level 3

@RupakC 

Please reply to my query.

0 Likes
RupakC

Hi @cw2611

1. Pin 10, Pin 16 and Pin 17 can be used as Analog Input.

2. A sample application for IMC 302A is provided in the datasheet . You may find it in Page 15-16 of the following document:
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IMC300_series-DataSheet-v01_02-EN.pdf?fileId=5546d462700c0ae6...

whatever you said about the gate driver amplifying the analog signals and sending it to Pin 18, Pin 15 and Pin 11 have to be externally designed for. The  IMC302A does not internally have such a configuration. However, you can design your external board to achieve such an application if required. In that case, you need to strictly comply with the voltage and current ratings of the pins of the IMC302A board.

3. For normal applications, the gate kill input may take input from an external gate driver to know when the PFC and the motor overcurrent needs to trip .  You can supply the gate kill input from another host controller but in that case all voltage and current level compliance for the IMC302A board need to be met. 

4. The IMC302A has a quadrature decoder control which can be used in a very flexible way when connected with a CCU4 unit. The connection profile depends on the amount of functions that the user wants to perform in parallel: position control, revolution control and velocity measurement.

For more details on the quadrature decoder mode, please refer to the following document :
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-IMC300A-iMOTION_Controller_with_additional_microcontroller-Us...

Pin 4.1, Pin 4.2 and Pin 4.3 can be configured as POSIF1 pins. This information is also available in the document link provided above. 

I hope the above discussion will help to resolve your doubts. 

Thanks and Regards

RupakC