About the Leg-Shunt design.

Announcements

From sunburn to sun earn – we’ve got the power! Watch our #poweringgreen videos now.

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JasonLEE
Level 5
Level 5
100 replies posted 250 sign-ins First like received

I looked at the reference design and did the same Legshunt design, but the IPM keeps exploding.

Overcurrent continues to occur.
Is this reference design correct?

I can send you my design schematics if you'd like.

I keep getting a "Gate kill" error no matter what value I enter.

* It doesn't seem to be a parameter issue. I bought and tested the IM818's EVAL board and the EVAL board had no problems. *

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @JasonLEE 

Did you follow our thermal considerations guide as mentioned in my previous post? By the IPM exploding, you mean there is an explosion with some sound or there is excessive heating and the IPM get fried?

Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
RupakC

Hello @JasonLEE 

Before moving into a schematic analysis, there are some points that you may need to check. 

1. Which controller card are you using with the Power Board ? 

2. Did you design the power board by taking our EVAL-M1-IM818A as a reference design? In this case, we would like to state that our Evaluation boards are meant for learning purpose and not recommended for production. You may make necessary changes for your final production ready design.

However, in your case, if you have taken our design as reference, can you use our EVALboard and check if your motor is running satisfactorily. This way you can check if you have entered the correct parameters in the MCE wizard.

Once confirmed that the parameters are correct and our EVALBOARD can run your motor, we can then move towards any issues with your schematic.  

Also, did you make the necessary changes as suggested by @Viswa in your last post (https://community.infineon.com/t5/Motor-Control-ICs/Single-Shunt-High-Speed-Operation/td-p/388582)?

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
JasonLEE
Level 5
Level 5

Hello. @RupakC 

1. What does the controller card mean?

2. I have to refer to the reference design.
Where should I see the "Legshunt" design if I don't refer to it?

3. When I used the EVAL board, it worked very well and was stable at high RPM.

"EVAL-M1-IM818-A" I have this EVAL board.

However, boards designed by looking at the reference design continue to explode.
Isn't the reference design wrong?

4. The link you sent me is being tested now.
I'd like you to share the detailed method.

5.  Is the arrangement important for Legshunt? Please refer to the picture.

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @JasonLEE 

1. Controller card contains the motor controller which will implement the firmware required for controlling the motor. One example of a controller board is the EVAL-M1-101T. Which controller board are you using with your custom power board? 

2&3. If you have exactly followed the reference design and if our eval board works fine, then the custom board should also work. However, there can be many reasons for the IPM exploding. Did you follow the thermal system design guidelines mentioned in our appnote ? (https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-AN2019-16_CIPOS_MAXI_IM818_series-ApplicationNotes-v01_21-EN....).
If our evalboard works fine, then it is clear that the eval board design does not have any issues. 

4. The details (documents) you mentioned have already been shared with you. Please go through it and try to enter the correct parameters in MCE Wizard. Let us know your findings. 

5. The arrangement you have mentioned is not clear to me. Can you please elaborate on what is the arrangement and what is it that you are trying to achieve and how.

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
JasonLEE
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, @RupakC 

1. Customized board using IM101T-F064.
We designed it ourselves. The IPM is IM818LCC.

2. In the case of EVAL board, the design was shared only Schematic design.
I looked at it and designed it 100% the same, but the IPM keeps exploding.

3. I've tried several settings.
The problem is not solved.

4. The array I mentioned is the resistance and capacitor of the Legshunt.

  

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @JasonLEE 

Did you follow our thermal considerations guide as mentioned in my previous post? By the IPM exploding, you mean there is an explosion with some sound or there is excessive heating and the IPM get fried?

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
JasonLEE
Level 5
Level 5

Hello. @RupakC

The design is normal.
However, the "Gatekill" error code continues to occur. So I increased the allowable current value from the set value and it exploded.

The other two exploded when I connected the power and started the motor for no reason.

It has the same design as EVAL board and used the same parameters.

I don't know the cause.

0 Likes