No working Cypress programmer options

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Panometric
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 100 replies posted 10 solutions authored

I just need to program a custom  CYBLE-416045-02 device on a remote machine. Don't want to install the whole toolbox, so I just installed Cypress Programmer 4.0.

It sees the kitprog, but will not allow platform selection without a kit, and none of the lits match this device.

This seems like a GUI bug. I should be able to select this device type in platform without a kit right?  

Is there a workaround?

Panometric_0-1646165997163.png

So then I tried to install the old PSoc Programmer it takes to to this webpage where the default installation is the OLDEST version available. This is very misleading. PSoC™ Programmer Archive - Infineon Technologies

Looking all the way down the Development Tools list,  where incidentally all files are mistakenly dated the same, I find the most recent 3.29 https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/design-support/tools/tools-archive/psoc-programmer-archive/#!?fileId...

And it connects to the Kitprog, can read out the device,  but it will not open the .hex file for the device created with MTB. 

Panometric_1-1646167122973.png

I have figured out how to program using the CLI:

openocd -s ../scripts -f interface/kitprog3.cfg -f target/psoc6.cfg -c "program file.hex verify; reset run; exit"

From what I can tell I only have 2 dead ends for a GUI programmer. Shouldn't one of these work?

0 Likes
1 Solution
AlenAn14
500 replies posted 100 solutions authored 250 replies posted

Hi @Panometric ,

Can you please let me know the development Kit you are using for this purpose?
Is it a CY8CPROTO-063-BLE kit?
If so then you should be observing the kit name in the drop-down and not the device name.
For instance, the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE kit uses the CYBLE-416045-02 device on it, but the BSP name that appears in the drop-down for the 'Probe/Kit' in Cypress Programmer will be "CY8CPROTO-063-BLE-" and this is the kit that you have to select.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards
Alen

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AlenAn14

Hi @Panometric ,

PSoC Programmer is only capable of programming the hex file that is generated by PSoC Creator which has additional sections lie meta-data which is not present in the hex file that is generated by ModusToolbox.
So, if the .hex file is generated in ModusToolbox, then the same can be programmed only from ModusToolbox or from  Cypress Programmer.

For programming your kit using Cypress Programmer, as per the image of the same you have shared, when you connect the kitprog, a serial number of the same is displayed in the console, in your case this is 0E1713D001060400.
Can you select a kit from the 'Probe/kit' drop down with the serial number 0E1713D001060400. After this try connecting again.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Alen

0 Likes
Panometric
Level 5
Level 5
100 sign-ins 100 replies posted 10 solutions authored

Any kit I try gives me this:

Info : Connected - KitProg3 CMSIS-DAP BULK-0E1713D001060400  FW Version  2.21.1005
Info : Selected Device: CY8CPROTO-062-4343W-0E1713D001060400
Info : Selected Device: CY8CPROTO-062-4343W-0E1713D001060400
Info : ** Probe-config: kit_CY8CPROTO-062-4343W.cfg
Info : Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-4.2.0.1430 (2021-03-05-08:22)
Info : Licensed under GNU GPL v2
Info : For bug reports, read
Info : 	http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : debug_level: 2
Info : adapter speed: 1500 kHz
Info : serial:    0E1713D001060400
Info : transport: swd
Info : rst type:  soft
Info : efuse:     off
Info : sflash restrict: 0
Info : adapter speed: 2000 kHz
Info : adapter srst delay: 25
Info : adapter srst pulse_width: 25
Info : ** Auto-acquire enabled, use "set ENABLE_ACQUIRE 0" to disable
Info : cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : cortex_m reset_config sysresetreq
Info : none separate
Info : SFlash programming disallowed, see 'sflash_restrictions' command
Info : tcl server disabled
Info : Listening on port 4445 for telnet connections
Info : CMSIS-DAP: SWD  Supported
Info : CMSIS-DAP: FW Version = 2.0.0
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface Initialised (SWD)
Info : SWCLK/TCK = 1 SWDIO/TMS = 1 TDI = 1 TDO = 1 nTRST = 0 nRESET = 1
Info : CMSIS-DAP: Interface ready
Info : KitProg3: FW version: 2.21.1005
Info : KitProg3: Pipelined transfers enabled
Info : VTarget = 3.366 V
Info : kitprog3: acquiring the device (mode: reset)...
Info : clock speed 2000 kHz
Info : SWD DPIDR 0x6ba02477
Info : psoc6.cpu.cm0: hardware has 4 breakpoints, 2 watchpoints
Info : ***************************************
Info : ** Silicon: 0xE2F0, Family: 0x100, Rev.: 0x24 (B3)
Info : ** Detected Device: CYBLE-416045-02
Info : ** Detected Main Flash size, kb: 1024
Info : ** Flash Boot version: 1.20.1.45
Info : ** Chip Protection: UNKNOWN
Info : ***************************************
Info : *******************************************************************************
Error: * The detected device does not match the configuration file in use.
Error: * Flash programming will not work. Please use the "psoc6.cfg"
Error: * configuration file, or attach a kit that matches the configuration file.
Info : *******************************************************************************

And  there is no psoc6.cfg file in the executable directory. 

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Panometric ,

Can you please let me know the development Kit you are using for this purpose?
Is it a CY8CPROTO-063-BLE kit?
If so then you should be observing the kit name in the drop-down and not the device name.
For instance, the CY8CPROTO-063-BLE kit uses the CYBLE-416045-02 device on it, but the BSP name that appears in the drop-down for the 'Probe/Kit' in Cypress Programmer will be "CY8CPROTO-063-BLE-" and this is the kit that you have to select.

Hope this helps.

Warm Regards
Alen

@AlenAn14 I am in fact trying to program a custom board. Regardless only these kits appear in the list.  I have used the  CY8CPROTO-063-BLE on this machine. 

Panometric_0-1648148429472.png

My expectation for this program is that given a Kitprog3 and a device, all a customer or tech has to download and install is the Cypress Programmer, just like the Psoc programmer it replaces. 

How is that supposed to work if it only works with kits and not our end product?

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Panometric ,

Can you please try and use PSoC Programmer here? (you will not be able to program the hex file from the same though)
I would like to know if your device is detected in PSoC Programmer in which case we can check the actual detected device based on the 'Silicon', 'family' and 'revision'.

Simply connect your device to PC and in PSoC Programmer, click on the 'Program' button to observe this as shown in the below example:

AlenAn14_0-1648303130680.png

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

No, automatic detection does not work, but it does not work on the off the shelf eval board  CY8CPROTO-063-BLE either. The firmware did not need upgrading, but I tried.2022-03-28 09_31_58-Clipboard.png

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Panometric ,

Did you try clicking on the 'Program' button after connecting to the device in PSoC Programmer?
From the console output of the PSoC Programmer you have shared, it seems like you only connected the device to the PC and did not click on the 'Program' button.

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

Sorry, @AlenAn14 here you go, . The Device type is detected on both the eval board (lower) and my custom device (upper) , but there are slight version differences. 

2022-03-30 16_33_52-PSoC Programmer 3.29.1.png

0 Likes
AlenAn14

Hi @Panometric ,

Can you please confirm if you are able to program the 063 BLE Kit you have with the hex file through Cypress Programmer?

This seems to be a design issue on your custom board because of which you are not able to detect the device.
Can you please share the schematic of your custom board with us so we can verify this on our side and give you comments on the same?

Warm Regards
Alen

0 Likes

@AlenAn14 I am not able to program a standard CY8CPROTO-063-BLE with the Cypress Programmer GUI.  Command line using openocd works fine, but there is no way to get the GUI to enable the program button I can find. 

0 Likes