I don't understand ModusToolBox v2.2...

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WiWi_4702256
Level 5
Level 5
5 sign-ins Welcome! 5 solutions authored

So, why do this? Well, for one we eat our own dogfood around here. The process took too long. More importantly we listen to customers. You didn’t like it either.

I never got asked. What is there not to like? Why didn't "they" like it?

I happen to like Modustoolbox 2.1 very much for many reasons. Maybe I don't understand the environment fully because I am sure you thought this out and put a lot of effort into it but for me for now it is constrictive to me... I am going back to mtb 2.1. I don't have the time or the luxury of learning or understanding a "new" environment. Actually I am disappointed, I thought this was going to be a more improved continuation of a great robust low level roll you own IDE... mtb 2.1 allows me to get under the hood.

Also, and most importantly, I am able to go to any library and look at the code and access the API's associated with that library. That is vital to me.

For instance, right now, I am using the WiFi Connection Manager API, the WiFi Host Driver API, the Connectivity Middleware Utilities API, and the Cypress MQTT Library daily and these have been extremely helpful in my current development.

William

0 Likes
1 Solution

The timing couldn't have been better. AnyCloud 1.2 assets are now available on GitHub and the manifests have been updated too. If you open the Library Manager for any of your applications and go to the Libraries Panel, you should now be able to see WiFi Middleware Libraries.

You could choose to follow the 2.1 flow in 2.2 if you like it that way. Please follow the instructions of Method 2 mentioned in this thread: How to set Device Configurator in Modus Toolbox2.2 for each project

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

Hello William,

It is great that you like ModusToolbox 2.1, but we still have the same good things about 2.1 in 2.2 with some enhancements. The newer features help in creating applications faster using shared libraries.

From what I can make of it, I think you are talking about not seeing WIFI Middleware Libraries in the Library Manager. The AnyCloud 1.2 version will be released soon and this will get fixed.

You can start from any code example that says AnyCloud in 2.2 and you should be able to use the WIFI libraries. The code examples are forward compatible.

I will update this thread when the new version of AnyCloud is released.

Regards,
Dheeraj

0 Likes

From what I can make of it, I think you are talking about not seeing WIFI Middleware Libraries in the Library Manager. The AnyCloud 1.2 version will be released soon and this will get fixed.

Ok. Yes, and thats fine, BUT, I am talking about NOT seeing ALL the libraries under lib. I am used to clicking on and seeing code snippets and then accessing the API, Not just for WiFi libraries... Especially the psoc6hal and the psoc6pdl libraries... This is good stuff. I cant imagine having to write all that code. I get ideas and reuse to be able to rapidly develop commercial software products...

What would I have done? How would I have known about how to implement? Without "seeing it". I can tell you not to many people are doing what we are doing and if they are they are not putting it on the internet. Its been my experience that I am not as smart as I thought I was... Here is why. If I can think about it, someone already thought about, wrote the code, and published it on the internet... Not the case with AWS, IoT, SOC MCU's designed and developed just for IoT industries...

These libraries, especially the AnyCloud libraries have helped me to access and interact with AWS IoT Core in little to no time and I have years of experience but none, nada, in IoT, AWS, or FreeRtos, yet I am producing...

Am I the only one whining...

0 Likes

The timing couldn't have been better. AnyCloud 1.2 assets are now available on GitHub and the manifests have been updated too. If you open the Library Manager for any of your applications and go to the Libraries Panel, you should now be able to see WiFi Middleware Libraries.

You could choose to follow the 2.1 flow in 2.2 if you like it that way. Please follow the instructions of Method 2 mentioned in this thread: How to set Device Configurator in Modus Toolbox2.2 for each project

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

Ok, Well, Alan likes it and his iotexpert courses and publications have been extremely helpful in my ramping up on cypress technology so I am going to have to trust 2.2 is ok and consider this answered. I will move to 2.2 after I deliver my current project with 2.1. I just don't want any changes at this point of development.

The only way I "learn" is by using and doing...

William

0 Likes
AlanH_86
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 solutions authored

Im curious.

Given that you can use either the "dotLib" flow... which we didnt break... and the "mtb " flow

Basically we give the ability to use shared libraries... or not.  Your choice.

What is that we broke for you?  Certainly it was not our intent if we did.

As far as the "whining goes"... you have no idea what it is like to work in an MCU company 🙂   That being said...

I use it all before anything is released and I like what we did with the shared flow as it made the Bluetooth MCUs work a lot better and make the 207xxx and the PSoCs look much more alike.

Alan

AlanH_86 wrote:

Im curious.

... Given that you can use either the "dotLib" flow... which we didnt break... and the "mtb " flow ...

Alan

Alan,

I may have panicked a little. I wasn't aware we could use either.... I will step up to 2.2 after I deliver current project in Nov time-frame. I just don't want any changes at this stage of development.

Hardy

0 Likes

No need to panic... we have your back.

I wrote an article for www.iotexpert.com this morning showing how to convert a 2.1 to 2.2 project switching flows... it takes about 15 minutes.

But 2.2 is still compatible with the old flow... so whatever works for you is fine.

Alan