Eclipse plugins in ModusToolbox?

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
WeGa_288606
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

I would like to install a serial terminal plugin for use with ModusToolbox / Eclipse. Perhaps this one. How can I do this in ModusToolbox and if "I can" is it safe and/or recommended?

0 Likes
1 Solution
srnu_276571
Level 5
Level 5
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Please use the following link as the repository location. Then download/install TM Terminal and TM Terminal Serial Connector. The latest version of TM Terminal for Oxygen Eclipse is 4.3.0.201706140544.

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/oxygen

Mars is an older version of Eclipse and plugins from the Mars marketplace tend to have issues with later versions of Eclipse.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

To install the plugins you will first need to install the Eclipse Marketplace Client. Use Help > Install new software and type the following:

market1.PNG

Then you will need to perform a restart for the changes to take effect. Then use Help > Eclipse Marketplace to download any plugin you want.

market2.png

I don't think adding plugins should necessarily affect how ModusToolbox works. But since these are something do not test, we cannot guarantee anything.

Regards,

Dheeraj

mattl_01
Employee
Employee
100 replies posted 50 replies posted 25 replies posted

Wess, if you install this plug-in and have a problem, I want to know about it.

As long as the plug-in behaves in Eclipse, ModusToolbox should have no problem. We really strove (is that even a word?) to have ModusToolbox be as out-of-the-box Eclipse as feasible.

The Development guys tell me we even looked at bundling a plug-in like this with ModusToolbox 2.0

since serial terminals are something virtually EVERY embedded developer uses.  Anyway,

I'd be interested in your experience.

--Matt

0 Likes

Hi Matt,

The good news is that installing the Eclipse Marketplace within ModusToolbox was no problem for me in both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 18.04LTS. I hit a snag in both OSes when trying to install the specific plugin i.e. TM Terminal​. In all fairness I am coming from PSoC Creator and thus have very little exposure to eclipse thus far so it could simply be user error or understanding lack there of.

I think it is going to be an interesting evolution from PSoC Creator to Eclipse. When it was PSoC Creator I knew to contact Cypress but with an environment like Eclipse who does one reach out to for help? Ubuntu, TM Terminal Developers, Eclipse, Cypress? Oh fun through the layers....

I have attached a screen shot. The error is similar in both Windows and Ubuntu instances of ModusToolbox. TMTerminal.JPG

Cheers,

Wess

0 Likes

If you haven't seen this already, JimT_21​ has created a really helfpful document called the Eclipse IDE Survival Guide.  There's a link to it over on the left under KEY DOCUMENTS. I recommend everyone coming from the Creator world check it out.

pastedImage_0.png

JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

FWIW: I'm rather proud of the Eclipse Survival Guide, but it does not cover installing plugins. DheerajK_81​'s note above is brilliant, and exemplifies one of my peeves about Eclipse - installing plugins is not, shall we say, intuitive.

Matt, I may play with this today, I'll let you know what I find. A review of the error indicates multiple versions of the same plugin are conflicting. I'll see if I can reproduce or learn something.

0 Likes
JamesT_21
10 solutions authored 5 solutions authored First solution authored

So I did play, and replicate the problem. FYI: I have opened a ticket with the engineering team. This could be us, or it could very well be the plugin itself. We shall explore. user_103652434Thanks for the report.

0 Likes

I could replicate the problem. The issue is because there is an embedded widget plugin named Terminal Control which comes with Eclipse which is having a conflict with the TM Terminal that is trying to be installed.

You can find this plug-in using Help > Install new software > "What is already installed?" > Plug-ins as shown below:

modus1.PNG

How this conflict can be resolved needs to be investigated. There is no way to remove the embedded plug-ins.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes
srnu_276571
Level 5
Level 5
25 replies posted 10 replies posted 5 replies posted

Please use the following link as the repository location. Then download/install TM Terminal and TM Terminal Serial Connector. The latest version of TM Terminal for Oxygen Eclipse is 4.3.0.201706140544.

http://download.eclipse.org/releases/oxygen

Mars is an older version of Eclipse and plugins from the Mars marketplace tend to have issues with later versions of Eclipse.

mattl_01
Employee
Employee

Wess, try Oxygen instead of Mars.  I got that to work.

Then, I can configure which terminal I want from Window->Preferences->Terminal, like so

pastedImage_0.png

So sorry for the confusion.

--Matt

0 Likes
mattl_01
Employee
Employee

My digital freehand drawing skills are about as good as my normal drawing skills.

Hi All,

I can confirm success in Windows. I can claim partial success in Linux Ubuntu 18.04. It installs now in Linux from the Oxygen repository but does not function as expected thus far. I really appreciate the help. This is awesome. No more switching to external terminal. This is the SPI Master Example from Cypress but extended to include UART to the terminal screen shot. It is running on the CY8CPROTO-062-4343W kit. I am going to poke around in Ubuntu and see if I can figure out what is going on. CTRL + ALT + SHIFT in Ubuntu opens up a standard Ubuntu terminal instead of doing it inside of eclipse.

moduswindowsTM.JPG

0 Likes
WeGa_288606
Level 4
Level 4
25 sign-ins 10 sign-ins 5 sign-ins

OK so it seems like the default CTRL + ALT + SHIFT does not work as expected since it opens up an external system terminal outside of eclipse/ModusToobox in Ubuntu 18.04. However, if a file is selected, right clicked on, and then Show In Local Terminal selected it opens up the terminal console within eclipse. Easy work around for now since its not far from CTRL+ALT+SHIFT to right click Upon exit the terminal option remains in the perspective upon relaunch. Screenshot from 2019-04-11 12-24-37.png

You can try to look at how the key shortcut has been configured. Use Windows > Preferences > General > Keys. Here search for terminal and you will find the shortcut along with various other options. This is what we have in Windows, I don't have a Ubuntu machine now to check, but you could try playing around with these options and seeing if anything helps.

modus2_marked.png

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes

I tried this. My hunch is that Ubuntu has the same key bindings and that it (the OS) responds to the key bindings before Eclipse can. Even when I try to recreate the binding within the eclipse settings a system terminal pops up preventing me from binding that sequence within eclipse. I am going to try and disable the OS key binding or at least change it and see how that works.

0 Likes

OK confirmed. I changed my Ubuntu binding to ALT+T instead of CTRL+ALT+T and now the three key combo works in Eclipse/ModusToolbox. One needs to enter the Ubuntu System Settings and then navigate to Devices and look for Keyboard. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully, I can focus on writing on some code now and not get distracted by another bells and whistle feature "I must have". Long gone are the days of just programming form the command line and a text editor.  Screenshot from 2019-04-11 13-27-48.png