Creating a dual-core application in Modus for the 416045-02 module

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
AdAd_1278511
Level 1
Level 1
First question asked First reply posted First like given

In the PSoC 6 MCU Dual-CPU System Design app note, it shows that when you create a new modus application for a dual-core target, that Modus Toolbox will create 5 project directories, and these directories are used to designate which cores run the code contained within them.  When I create a new application with Modus build 1.1 for the 416045-02 module, only one project directory is created.  I can't tell which core it's using for that, though when I compile I do see non-zero resource usage for both cores.    I saw another thread about a question of whether simultaneous debugging of both cores will be supported, but I have a more basic question:  How do I target different code to different cores even if I'm only debugging one at a time (which I would be o.k. with for now).  The PSoC 6 MCU Dual-CPU System Design app note appears to be out of date in this regard.  Thanks for any assistance.

0 Likes
1 Solution

We deeply understand your concerns. We are currently evaluating all our options concerning dual core and how we want the support to look like in the future. There is a lot of thought process involved into making this decision and after weighing down all the options, if we see value, we will definitely support it.

Appreciate your feedback on this. We will definitely take this into consideration.

Thank you for your interest in Cypress Products.

Regards,

Dheeraj

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
DheerajK_81
First comment on KBA First comment on blog 5 questions asked

The app note is an old one and was targeted at ModusToolbox 1.0. The latest ModusToolbox 1.1 does not support the Cortex M0+ core in PSoC 6 devices. Accordingly, if you selected the “Cortex M0+” as the target CPU core in ModusToolbox 1.0 in the respective configurators for CapSense, BLE, or USB, you must re-design the application to run wholly on the Cortex M4.

Please refer to the KBA for instructions on porting: Porting an Application from ModusToolbox 1.0 to version 1.1 - KBA226484

Regards,

Dheeraj

That's a pretty disappointing answer, particularly in the app note you referenced that says "The CM0+ should be reserved for system functionality provided by Cypress or its partners."

Is Cypress going to change all of it marketing material that says the 416045 is a dual-core system, now that users can only access a single core?   I'm just bringing up my first prototype of a system I just designed around this module, which I chose in part because of the dual-core capability.   Although that capability wasn't a hard requirement in my selection process, it was something I was looking forward to taking advantage of, and I feel like a bit of a bait-and-switch has taken place here.  If this decision is not yet final, I hope that Cypress decides to invest the resources necessary to make both cores available to developers, and would suggest that it might be unwise for Cypress to let STMicro and others get too far ahead in this area.

0 Likes

We deeply understand your concerns. We are currently evaluating all our options concerning dual core and how we want the support to look like in the future. There is a lot of thought process involved into making this decision and after weighing down all the options, if we see value, we will definitely support it.

Appreciate your feedback on this. We will definitely take this into consideration.

Thank you for your interest in Cypress Products.

Regards,

Dheeraj

0 Likes