CYW43907 WICED to Modus migration

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
NiMc_1688136
Level 5
Level 5
10 sign-ins 50 questions asked 10 solutions authored

After poking around in Modus, the project structure seem very different compared to a WICED Wi-Fi project. What is everyone's experience going from WICED to Modus?

What kind of timeline would be expected? I don't expect it to be a drop in a go but is it basically a rewrite? How about the OTA image generation process, is it similar? Is the bootload structure similar?

I have a fairly large app that uses a lot of WICED network, security, rtos wrapper api, and wifi api's. I also heavily rely on the WICED ota2 library for OTA functionality. 

It looks like everything in Modus are modules that are pulled from Git when built. What happens if there are bugs in the library code? I had to do quite a bit of debugging and fixes in WICED code over the years to get things working okay. 

We also fought to get low power working correctly for over an year which resulted in a custom patch for WICED and CYW43907 6.2.1 from Cypress support that never went into the following WICED releases.

0 Likes
1 Solution
Rakesh_BG
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hi @NiMc_1688136 ,

Yes , The project in modus is structurally different from wiced .  

Though it is not very easy to port directly from wiced to modus, It is very advantageous to use modus for further upgradations of any library independently.  As the modus is modular in code it is easy to differentiate and debug. 

Low power mode of CYW43907 in modus is also under development and we are expecting it to be developed soon.

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Rakesh_BG
50 solutions authored 100 replies posted 100 sign-ins

Hi @NiMc_1688136 ,

Yes , The project in modus is structurally different from wiced .  

Though it is not very easy to port directly from wiced to modus, It is very advantageous to use modus for further upgradations of any library independently.  As the modus is modular in code it is easy to differentiate and debug. 

Low power mode of CYW43907 in modus is also under development and we are expecting it to be developed soon.

Thanks,

Rakesh B G

0 Likes
cedric_roomz
Level 4
Level 4
50 replies posted 50 sign-ins 25 replies posted

Hi,

With the current missing libs I would not advise porting to modustoolbox yet. Flash interaction is not supported which means no ota, and low power is also not supported yet. 

Regarding the structure I find it better than wiced, we use git patches to make changes in the libs after they've been pulled. It's a little bit more maintenance than the single repo from wiced, but it's more flexible. (Though cross dependencies between modules can be a bit of a pain, especially with the cyw43907 not being the flagship)

Cédric

0 Likes

Thanks for your sharing your thoughts and experiences about this. I am kind of surprised at the current state because our FAE's were pushing Modus like 2 years ago and the support is still lacking. I wonder if Broadcom parts like the CYW43907 that were exclusively WICED are low priority since they are now getting to be older devices. 

0 Likes