Temperature problems with the TLE9879

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
wph1995
Level 4
Level 4
100 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted

I designed a circuit copying the circuit of the shield for Arduino of the TLE9879QXA40 and added an arduino in the same circuit, everything works correctly but the SoC TLE9879 gets too hot, use the internal temperature sensor of the Soc and when the motor is on for more After 1 minute the internal temperature rises to a little over 100°C, I use a motor with 4 pairs of poles, 24V and 1.2A, but I use the motor at 1000rpm so it only consumes 200mA and it seems very strange to me that the TLE9879 chip is hot so much, is this behavior normal or could I think that the SoC is damaged or maybe the GND pad on the back of the package is not soldered well?

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @wph1995 

Did you follow the steps in the following document while placing the 987x IC during assembly?

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Board_Assembly_of_Discrete_Quad_Flat_No_Lead_Packages-AN-v01_...

Please check your board design, if it does not have proper vias on the IC ground pads for heat management and thermal considerations are not met, there will be more heating.

For the charge pump on our TLE9879 BLDC Shield, we observed the following voltages:

For the C1 and C4 capacitances as per our board, (i.e. between CP1H and CP1L and between CP2H and CP2L), the voltage is 9.56V for C1 and 15.5 for C4. Please note that these voltages are for a dc supply voltage of 12V. You can check these voltages on your board at 12V dc input and let us know. We loaded the BLDC shield with the FOC code for this test.

Best Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
RupakC

Hello @wph1995 

I understand you are using similar board schematics as that of the BLDC shield. However, we would like to go through your schematic to understand the specific reason for this increase in temperature. Please provide us with the schematic of your board. 

Thanks, and Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
wph1995
Level 4
Level 4
100 sign-ins First like received 25 replies posted

I just found something strange, I just measured the charge pump voltages and they are somewhat strange, when there is no capacitor soldered between pins CP1H and CP1L there is 10.4v and when there is no capacitor between pins CP2H and CP2L there is also 10.4 v but when I add the 220nF capacitors the voltage between CP2H and CP2L is 23.5v and between CP1H and CP1L there is 21.1v, I also found these voltages: between the CP2H and GND pins there is 34.3v and between the CP1H and GND pins there is 27.2v, Could the internal charge pump be damaged or are those the correct voltage values ​​between the pins I mentioned?

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @wph1995 

Did you follow the steps in the following document while placing the 987x IC during assembly?

https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infineon-Board_Assembly_of_Discrete_Quad_Flat_No_Lead_Packages-AN-v01_...

Please check your board design, if it does not have proper vias on the IC ground pads for heat management and thermal considerations are not met, there will be more heating.

For the charge pump on our TLE9879 BLDC Shield, we observed the following voltages:

For the C1 and C4 capacitances as per our board, (i.e. between CP1H and CP1L and between CP2H and CP2L), the voltage is 9.56V for C1 and 15.5 for C4. Please note that these voltages are for a dc supply voltage of 12V. You can check these voltages on your board at 12V dc input and let us know. We loaded the BLDC shield with the FOC code for this test.

Best Regards

RupakC
0 Likes