TLE9879QXA40 breakage - Mosfet driver design

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
lock attach
Attachments are accessible only for community members.
ansede
Level 2
Level 2
First like given 10 replies posted First like received

Hi,

We are working on the optimization of our BLDC motor application in order to improve operation and reduce losses. Until now, we were using a MOSFET (FDP032N08B) with higher gate capacitance and after select other reference (IPP060N06N) the driver started to work worse. It protects itself at motor startup, stopping the movement, continuously. And sometimes the driver breaks, either Mosfets or the TLE9879QXA40 component.

We read the datasheet and the "Hardware design guideline" to understand the issue with no success. It is attached a schematic with component values.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
1 Solution
RupakC
100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins 25 likes received

Hello @ansede 

1. I would request you to kindly look into the following link:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/MOTIX-MCU/BLDC-SHIELD-TLE9879-setParameter-Working/m-p/383020

You may implement the firmware changes as mentioned in the above link. 
Please let me know if your problem is resolved after implementing the above changes. 

2. Can you please send us an image and description of your setup such that we can understand it better. 

3. How are you debugging the BLDC shield? 

Regards

RupakC

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
RupakC

Hello @ansede 
Can you please elaborate on "It protects itself at motor startup, stopping the movement, continuously. And sometimes the driver breaks, either Mosfets or the TLE9879QXA40 component."? 
Which parts got damaged and how? Under what operating conditions did the components fail ?

1. Can you please send us the entire schematic and the pcb layout for your custom board?
2. Did you design the board with reference to any of our Eval-Boards or is it your own complete design?

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
lock attach
ansede
Level 2
Level 2

Hello RupakC,

Our board is designed with reference to Arduino shield: https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/bldc_shield_tle9879/

Except Mosfets the rest of components are the same of this board. I attached the entire schematic.

Regarding to driver operation, the start command is sent by an external uC through SPI. The driver enables the motor but it does not rotate (sounds like a lock action) and goes to error (gpio P0.2. goes to LOW by “anErrorOccurred” function). Almost every time we try to move the motor the error arise and sometimes one branch Mosfets breaks. It also happens at low speeds.

Our configuration parameters are:

•   shields->setParameter(HALL_POLE_PAIRS,15);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_IMAX,50);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_PIMAX,90);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_OFFSET_60DEGREE_EN,1);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_DELAY_MINSPEED,10);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_KP,10);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_KI ,4000);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_IMIN,10);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_SPEED_PIMIN ,10);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_PWM_FREQ,25000);
  •   shields->setParameter(HALL_INIT_DUTY,30);

We have tried to change these values, but the driver error continues.

As I said it only happens with the lower gate capacitance Mosfets (IPP060N06N).

Thanks!

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @ansede 

1. I would request you to kindly look into the following link:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/MOTIX-MCU/BLDC-SHIELD-TLE9879-setParameter-Working/m-p/383020

You may implement the firmware changes as mentioned in the above link. 
Please let me know if your problem is resolved after implementing the above changes. 

2. Can you please send us an image and description of your setup such that we can understand it better. 

3. How are you debugging the BLDC shield? 

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes
lock attach
ansede
Level 2
Level 2

Hello @RupakC 

1. We already implemented this firmware change.

2. Find attached PCB driver image and the setup

3. A JLink debugger for programming. But we use SPI commands and IO2,3,4 outputs to know the driver status. 

0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @ansede

I have the following points/doubts to share with you:

1. What code is being implemented on the TLE9879 device? Are you using custom code or the example code that is available from Infineon?
  2. If you are using reference example from Infineon, did you flash the controller with the Bootloader code (Available in the BLDC shield firmware pack) prior to flashing the motor control program?
  3. The pin P0.2 status has to be zero when entering the debug mode.

In the BootROM User-Manual, you may find the following information on Page 8:

RupakC_0-1674630095407.png

1. Could you let us know the exact use case of P0.2? What is the status of P0.2 when entering the debug mode? Please probe the pin and let us know?
  2. If it is a custom project, please send your entire project such that we can debug it.
  3. You have mentioned that the problem appears only when you change the MOSFETS. Prior to this change of MOSFET, did your custom board work with the higher capacitance MOSFETS (from our eval board)?
    Regards
RupakC
0 Likes
lock attach
ansede
Level 2
Level 2
  1. We are using the example code dowloaded from the website “Infineon-BLDC_Shield-Software-v01_00-EN”, but including the feature of a static braking. Following your steps:

https://community.infineon.com/t5/MOTIX-MCU/TLE9879-static-braking-BLDC-Motor/td-p/356294

1. Yes, flash the Bootloader code is the first step.
  2. We do not use (for now) the debug mode.
  3. P0.2. is set to zero by “anErrorOccurred” function in example code. This event occurs when we try to move the motor with this Mosfet configuration.

ansede_0-1674632738516.png

ansede_1-1674632738519.png

1. Find attached the project.
  2. Our custom board works properly with higher capacitance Mosfets (we did not note this error). With the new Mosfet (IPP060N06NAKSA1) we pretended to get similar specifications to the evaluation board ones (IPC90N04S53R6ATMA1) in order to reduce heating losses in static braking mode.
0 Likes
RupakC

Hello @ansede 

1. Could you please let me know when the MOSFETs fail? Under what conditions? Does it fail at startup, or does it fail after a few cycles of operation? There may be many reasons why the MOSFETs fail and to find out the real issue in this case, I need this information. Maybe you can record a video and let us know when the MOSFETs fail. 

2. Please record and send me the Drain to Source Voltage (Vds), Gate to source voltage (Vgs) and the Drain to Source current (Ids) during several cycles of operation. From this Figure, I need to see how the Vds voltage and Id current behave during turn On and turn Off. Please send these images for both the boards with the two different MOSFETs. 

Regards

RupakC
0 Likes