Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
rohitrawat
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor
First solution authored 25 replies posted 50 sign-ins

Hey All,

I'm currently working with the TLE9879x controller, utilizing the sensorless Field-Oriented Control (FOC) example code for motor application. During my work, I have encountered the need to measure the system current at different motor RPMs.

Could you kindly provide guidance on whether there is a provision to directly read the system current? Alternatively, is there a known relationship between the system current and motor phase current that would allow me to estimate the system current based on phase current readings?

I greatly appreciate your assistance on this matter.

Best Regards,

Rohit Rawat 

0 Likes
5 Replies
Sahil_K
First like given 100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi @rohitrawat ,

Could you please let us know which example you are using from the given below options?

Sahil_K_0-1704888364624.png

Sahil_K_1-1704888364626.png

Also, in our example code, phase current measurement is based on a single shunt using a current sense amplifier. To understand more about how phase current measurement is done in Sensorless FOC, please refer to the 'Sensorless Field Oriented Control with Embedded Power SoC' app note, which provides a general overview.

Best Regards,
Sahil Kumar

0 Likes
rohitrawat
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor

Hey @Sahil_K ,

Thanks for you quick response.

I am currently working with the TLE9879QXA40_BLDC_FOC_SENSORLESS_LIN example code, specifically focusing on the Emo_RAM.c file. In my analysis, I am reading the phase current from the "Emo_Svm.PhaseCurr.A" structure member. For your reference, I have attached the waveform of "Emo_Svm.PhaseCurr.A."

rohitrawat_0-1704888683987.png

My objective is to establish any relationship between the system current and any of the motor phase currents, with the ultimate goal of estimating the system current. If you could provide insights or guidance regarding the correlation between the system current and individual motor phase currents, it would greatly assist me.

rohitrawat_1-1704889580750.png

Best Regards,

Rohit Rawat   

0 Likes
Sahil_K
First like given 100 solutions authored 250 sign-ins

Hi @rohitrawat ,

Could you please elaborate more on what is meant by "System Current"? The documents above already provide instructions on how to reconstruct phase current from DC link current (via shunt resistance).

Best Regards,
Sahil Kumar

0 Likes
rohitrawat
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor

Hi @Sahil_K ,

System current, specifically referring to the current drawn by the motor when it's operating at 5000 RPM. From my observation of the digital power supply, it seems that the motor consumes approximately 2 Amps at 12V during operation.

Considering the details in the documentation and firmware, it's indicated that the phase current is expressed in terms of counts. I'm curious if there is any correlation between the system current and these counts. This information would be crucial for monitoring the system current in Amperes.

Note : using 10mohm shunt 

Best Regards,

Rohit

0 Likes
rohitrawat
Level 4
Level 4
Distributor

Hey @Sahil_K ,

Is there any formula to calculate the current taken by the motor when motor is running. Like Id/Iq current or Vd,Vq voltage to estimate the current taken by motor.

Best Regards,

Rohit

0 Likes