Evaluation Board TLE987X

Announcements

Webinar: Integrated solutions for smaller, simpler low-voltage motor control design.
Join the webinar to experience!

Tip / Sign in to post questions, reply, level up, and achieve exciting badges. Know more

cross mob
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2
10 replies posted 5 questions asked 25 sign-ins

Hi , I am currently working on a project where I need to control a bldc motor sensorless and I found that infineon offers many types of evaluation board (TLE9879) that can helps me with this project but i didn't know what is the best evaluation board for me and what are the main differences between them ? I have read the datasheet but I still don't see big differences  for exemple between the eval kit and the 100 w auxilary water pump and the 1kw engine cooling fan ?  and also I have noticed that the TLE9879 EVALKIT offers complete evaluation of all functions and peripherals of the TLE9879QXA40 and allows direct connection to a BLDC motor  so why is there a big difference in the price between this one and REF_WATERPUMP100W for exemple ? 

Thank you very much for your help

0 Likes
1 Solution
Raj_C
250 solutions authored 500 replies posted 50 likes received

Hi @Ghassen,

Thank you for contacting Cypress, an Infineon Technologies Company, Technical Support!

The different development solutions for TLE9879x are as following.

REF_WATERPUMP100W: 

A reference design for auxiliary water pump application and it is capable to drive 12V BLDC motors up to 140W. It combines Infineon´s grade 0 technologies using the MOTIX™ TLE9879QXW40 (MOTIX™ Embedded Power IC, SoC) with the IAUC60N04S6N031H (OptiMOS™-6 40V MOSFET in SSO8 package).

REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW: 

The reference design describes a solution for an engine cooling fan with a power capability. This solution can be used for similar applications with smaller or equal power consumption. The circuit contains an integrated 3-phase motor control solution. It has an integrated bridge driver capable to drive 1kW motors at 12V. It can work at a continuous current rating of 80A.

Motor Control Kit 12V: 

A highly integrated automotive-qualified device enabling cost and space-efficient solutions for mechatronic BLDC motor drive applications. It is a PnP motor control kit for rapid prototyping of 3-phase brushless DC motors.

TLE9879 EVALKIT: 

The TLE9879 EvalKit offers a complete evaluation of all functions and peripherals of the TLE9879QXA40 and allows direct connection to a BLDC motor via MOSFETS in B6- Bridge configuration, it includes B6-Bridge for BLDC motor drive, UART and LIN for communication, direct access to all device I/Os and a J-Link debugger.

The difference between the pricing is because the REF_WATERPUMP100W and REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW are complete solutions. Whereas the TLE9879 EVALKIT is a development kit.

Can you please, let us know the requirements of your project so we can help with it?

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

View solution in original post

0 Likes
10 Replies
Raj_C

Hi @Ghassen,

Thank you for contacting Cypress, an Infineon Technologies Company, Technical Support!

The different development solutions for TLE9879x are as following.

REF_WATERPUMP100W: 

A reference design for auxiliary water pump application and it is capable to drive 12V BLDC motors up to 140W. It combines Infineon´s grade 0 technologies using the MOTIX™ TLE9879QXW40 (MOTIX™ Embedded Power IC, SoC) with the IAUC60N04S6N031H (OptiMOS™-6 40V MOSFET in SSO8 package).

REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW: 

The reference design describes a solution for an engine cooling fan with a power capability. This solution can be used for similar applications with smaller or equal power consumption. The circuit contains an integrated 3-phase motor control solution. It has an integrated bridge driver capable to drive 1kW motors at 12V. It can work at a continuous current rating of 80A.

Motor Control Kit 12V: 

A highly integrated automotive-qualified device enabling cost and space-efficient solutions for mechatronic BLDC motor drive applications. It is a PnP motor control kit for rapid prototyping of 3-phase brushless DC motors.

TLE9879 EVALKIT: 

The TLE9879 EvalKit offers a complete evaluation of all functions and peripherals of the TLE9879QXA40 and allows direct connection to a BLDC motor via MOSFETS in B6- Bridge configuration, it includes B6-Bridge for BLDC motor drive, UART and LIN for communication, direct access to all device I/Os and a J-Link debugger.

The difference between the pricing is because the REF_WATERPUMP100W and REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW are complete solutions. Whereas the TLE9879 EVALKIT is a development kit.

Can you please, let us know the requirements of your project so we can help with it?

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Raj_C 

Thank you very much  for your help.

I understood well what you said about these differents eval board but  I still don't see big differences between them  since they are  all  capable to drive  3 phase 12V BLDC motors  with almost the same  power (in average) except  the REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW that can drive motors up to 1KW  cause when I have read their datasheet  all the boards also  have LIN ,UART interfaces SWD and boot strap loader ,  another question when you say a developpment kit it means that it is only made for laboratory test and it can't be integrated in real system (pompe in vehicule)? if yes why it can't? 

my application is to drive a 3 phase BLDC   motor 12v   (Around 200W) for fuel pompe .

Thank you in advance .

Best regards.

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @Ghassen,

All the mentioned EVAL boards and reference design boards have a TLE9879 chip. It is a single chip 3-Phase motor driver that integrates the industry standard Arm® Cortex®-M3 core, enabling the implementation of advanced motor control algorithms such as field-oriented control. So, all the peripheral will be the same for the mentioned boards. 

The development kits are used for fast prototyping only. The actual products are needed to be certified and these development boards can't be used for the actual applications.

For your application prototyping, the TLE9879 EVAL kit is more suitable as it will be more cost-effective and REF_ENGCOOLFAN1KW will be overkill for your 200W application.

Please, let us know if you need further clarification.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari 

0 Likes
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Raj_C 

Thank you for your assitance  , I think now I understand better the main differences  between these Eval boards , but I just   still have  one more technical question , Since you recommended using  TLE9879 EVAL kit for my application , is this board capable to drive up to 200W?  if yes what is  its maximum power driving ? cause I don't find this information in the datasheet  .

Thank you a lot 

Best regards 

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @Ghassen,

Yes, you can drive up to 200W with a TLE9879 EVAL kit. The maximum ratings as per the user manual are as below:

1) Voltage supply max. 28V
2) Motor current max. 20 A

Please, let us know if you need further support.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Raj_C 

Okay very good ,  that's sounds suitable for my application , but for the Eval kit I also found that there is  many EVAL kit boards (Developpment Kit) like : Eval kit , TLE987X EVALB_VQFN and TLE987X EVALB_TQFP so can you confirm for me that the only difference between theses three boards is the type of mosfet used in B6 bridge  ? cause as  I am seeing there is a considerable difference in price .

Thank you .

Best regards .

0 Likes
Raj_C

Hi @Ghassen,

Thanks for your patience!!

According to the schematics in user manuals for the above-mentioned boards:

1) TLE9879 EVALKIT has IPD90N04S4-05 MOSFETs.

2) TLE987X EVALB_VQFN and TLE987X EVALB_TQFP have IPZ40N04S5-3R1 MOSFETs in half brige.

The reason for the price difference is that TLE9879 EVALKIT has a fixed TLE9879 chip. Whereas, other boards can have a TLE987x chip. Which is a more modular eval board.

Please, let us know if you need further clarification.

Thank you

Best Regards

Raj Chaudhari

0 Likes
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi @Raj_C 

Okay , that's clear , thank you so much for your assistance .

Best regards .

0 Likes
Ghassen
Level 2
Level 2

Hi  again @Raj_C 

I have a question about the exemple codes that exist in Keil Software  specifically  "driving  BLDC  MOTOR sensorless" code  ,  so my question is : Can we use this exemple code with all evaluation boards TLE987X  for exemple EVALB_VQFN or   only   for TLE9879 EVALKIT as it is  shown in the video in infineon websites ?

Thank you .

Best regards.

0 Likes
Raj_C
0 Likes